First Timer Shingle and Siding questions

AshleyLNC

I painted mine with spray paint, now I realize you cant do this in your apartment but if you had a small patch of area outside near the trash bin you could probably get away with - I sprayed mine with grey and then textured the with stone spray...you can see this in my San Franciscan album.  But for sure what Kathie B said about painting your roof the same color first.  Those bare spots are super bright lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

you cant do this in your apartment but

Another option: make a spray booth from a cardboard box to spray small items, like a roof section prior to gluing to the house

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

Another option: make a spray booth from a cardboard box to spray small items, like a roof section prior to gluing to the house

YES!!!! and if you place masking tape (blue painters tape)onto a cardboard piece with the sticky side up the shingles will stick and not "fly away" during spray....I actually did that on my san franciscan!  wooohooo teamwork!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Qubanqtee said:

YES!!!! and if you place masking tape (blue painters tape)onto a cardboard piece with the sticky side up the shingles will stick and not "fly away" during spray....I actually did that on my san franciscan!  wooohooo teamwork!

The shingles-on-tape hint is a great one. I was thinking more along the lines of gluing the shingles onto the roof section and then spraying the whole unit before adding to the house. Either way, quick and easy. :) 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KathieB said:

The shingles-on-tape hint is a great one. I was thinking more along the lines of gluing the shingles onto the roof section and then spraying the whole unit before adding to the house. Either way, quick and easy. :) 

thats a great idea, for the house I did in particular that wouldn't of worked, but it could certainly work for the one Im about to do!!!

Hi, I just started with the shingles process and I'm finding they are buckling even after I've weighed them down for the glue to dry. I'm using Ailene's quick grab glue. It worked very well on the siding. The glue gun did not work at all! What advice does anyone have for what to do to prevent the buckling and have them dry flat??? Please help.

1 hour ago, thumblelina said:

Hi, I just started with the shingles process and I'm finding they are buckling even after I've weighed them down for the glue to dry. I'm using Ailene's quick grab glue. It worked very well on the siding. The glue gun did not work at all! What advice does anyone have for what to do to prevent the buckling and have them dry flat??? Please help.

I used Weld Bond on mine, it seems to not buckle, once the row is done I take a paint stick or a piece of siding and lay it on top and tape it down if I think it's too wonky...but I haven't had to really do that.  Hope that helps

2 hours ago, thumblelina said:

what to do to prevent the buckling and have them dry flat???

Buckling generally occurs when the shingle absorbs moisture from a water-based glue. Often they will flatten out naturally as they dry or with some pressure --tape or a clamped stick.

Try running a thin line of glue at the base of the shingle instead of smearing the whole back with it. Like the old Brill Cream ad, "a little dab 'll do ya" All the glue has to do is hold the practically weightless shingle to the roof. It's not the same as construction applications where a more generous application of glue supplies a strong grip to hold walls, floors, ceilings, etc., together.

Or use a glue that is not water based -- E-6000 or similar -- one that will sit on the surface and not be absorbed. 

34 minutes ago, thumblelina said:

why are the shingles reaction to the glue so different from the siding? I weighed down the siding after glueing and it dried flat no problem.

Could be the grain of the wood. Long grain of the siding less likely to curl than the short grain of the shingles.