California Newbie

BunOne

Hi, I've been trolling this site for a while. I am working on my first dollhouse! This house was given to me by a coworker in the 80's. I worked on it long enough to build the shell, then lost steam. Now I've got time and a renewed interest in the house and this site has been so helpful! The issue is, and I'm not sure I'm even directing it to the right topic area, my house is a Duracraft, not a Greenleaf. I'd love to have a Greenleaf though, and when I finish this house I'll get one! I thought I should check if it's appropriate for me to register on this site, so that's what I'm doing. If not, I'll continue to troll but I'd love to be able to ask questions!  

Thank you, Nancy 

Welcome Nancy :wave:

We love all dollhouse here and the Greenleaf site welcomes all builders. There is a thread for people with questions about all different brands of houses.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=forums&id=26

What model house do you have?

Welcome to the little family, Nancy.  I have requested your introduction be moved to the appropriate sub-forum.  My first two kits I ever built were Dura-Crafts, and I have another one in my stash.  The Greenleaf kits have spoiled me, but I will occasionally build another, because it called my name (I don't remember who made my 1:24 hacienda kit), and some of our members build from scratch, not at all from kits; so of course you are welcome to play with us!

Hi all! I'm new to the site and I'm working on my first dollhouse. And it's not a Greenleaf. I have a DuraCraft Crestview that was given to me years ago (really, years ago, like 1980 something!) by my miniature enthusiast manager from work. I worked on it until I got the exterior pretty much done and then life, child rearing and work put it on the back burner. Now I'm nearing retirement and have a renewed interest in finishing this house. I love miniature anythings! I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and the few miniature shops I used to visit are no longer in business so I've been getting most of my info online.  I've been reading a book by Christine Lia Frisone and I love her design ideas. I saw a youtube video by Pippi Turner (I think?) who did a house inspired by Frisone's book and it's lovely. I know the Crestview isn't a French chateau but I'd like to modify the exterior a little to make it a little less "period" looking. I considered finishing the Crestview and then doing another house in the style I'm admiring. But I know I'd then race through the Crestview and I don't want to do that. I want to love it. Do you think my plan is possible? 

Hi Nancy! Where in the Bay Area are you? Dollhouses, Trains, and More in Novato is still open and they have a large selection. Also there's a show coming up in June in the Lodi area, I've never been to this one but it seems like it gets bigger and better every year: https://www.miniaturesonthewaterfront.com/

You might want to check out Robin Carey's dollhouses for inspiration: https://robincarey.blogspot.com/

She does French Country style a lot and has a knack for building kits to look totally different than the picture on the box. :)

Please post pictures of your Crestview when you're able to, we'd love to see it!

Thanks for the info. I'm in the Far East bay, Antioch. But I am not really far from Novato, in fact I go right by it when I go to my son's house, so that's great news! There used to be a shop in Concord and also one in Albany (both east bay). I lived closer to Oakland at that time so I was at the Albany shop a lot. I loved that store! But there's the internet now, so that's really helpful too. I've found blogs and sites like this one, where you can get ideas, see other folk's work and artistry and have a whole gang of experts just a message away without having to hang out at a miniature shop bugging the owner! Thanks for the suggestion re Robin Carey's site also, I can't wait to check it out. Right now I'm studying the house trying to figure out how much I have to take apart to access the interior. I'm trying to remember to take pics as I go so when I can post, you all can see what I started with and hopefully make suggestions, recommendations, etc.