Pennsylvania stone house

grazhina

I just posted 3 pictures in the gallery of my  stone house inspired by stone houses built in Pennsylvania around 1700. It was made using builders foam, the stonework is all carved out, with addition textures added by using paperclay and drywall compound, etc. I'll be furnishing the house later, right now I'm in the mood to move on to something different. I ordered some styrofoam blocks on Ebay, and have a dandy pile of thick styrofoam sheets in the garage. We're redoing a bathroom and the vanity and medicine cabinet came encased in glorious sheets of nice sturdy styrofoam.

I just noticed that the gallery uploader is taking forever  - I hope it's not making duplicate images.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

What are you using for the second floor's exterior brickwork?

Holly, I had several packs of clay bricks I had forgotten about, so I used some of them, then I tinted them with thinned out acrylic paints to make them look more interesting.

2 hours ago, Sable said:

Pics look great! Very cool!

Thanks, Sable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

wow it looks fantastic! 

I love your style.

Thanks, Jenn!

7 hours ago, jbnmini said:

Well, as a Pennsylvania resident surrounded by old stone houses, I would say that you certainly nailed that stonework!!  :D 

Jackie, I grew up in the midst of old stone houses, mostly in NW Philly, in Germantown, Mt.Airy and Chestnut Hill. I'd walk past those wonderful old homes everyday, on ground trod by Revolutionary War soldiers. 

• Like 1

@grazhina - ah! No wonder you have it down!!  :D  Man, I love those areas! My son and DD#2 lived around there when he was going to Drexel, and my daughter-in-law went to Chestnut Hill college for a bit.  She also did nanny work for the rich folks who lived in those houses!  We would drive around and I would be saying "I want to make a dollhouse like that!"  LOL  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been working on the interior off and on and here's where I am so far. I spent a good deal of the past 2 days fooling with the bedding and I'm still not happy. First I made a featherbed and worked a piece of fabric into a nice fringed blanket, but I didn't like the look in the room in the end. Then I thought a coverlet would look good, but it wouldn't work on the featherbed, so I went with just the original mattress that came with the bed, but the coverlet won't lay right anyway. I inserted a sheet of foil between the fabric layers, but I think the fabric I chose was too stiff, and it fights with the foil. BTW, I painted on the "crewel embroidery". 

IMG_3090.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3093.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Did you make the chairs?

No, Holly, the chairs are all from Aztec or Handley House. I had to hunt online last year for the chairs with the rush style seats, as apparently they were discontinued. The other two chairs were unfinished, and I stained them with a maple stain.

The bedroom dresser was made years ago in the little town next to mine. The man went out of business just as I was thinking about finishing what became Miss Frobisher's Cottage. The dresser was sold as unfinished, and I stained it years ago to use in my Tall Chimneys house. While in Walmart I happened to see Tulip dimensional fabric paints, so I bought a bottle of white to cover the little plain peg drawer pulls to make them look more in period, with porcelain style knobs.

The decorated blanket chest is one of the wooden ones they sell in crafts stores with the oversized brass clasp. I unscrewed the clasp set, filled in the holes and fashioned a new keyhole lock from a small decorative metal clock hand that I cut in half. I did have to glue the trunk shut, though, as it kept popping open a tiny bit without an actual clasp.

The gateleg table is one I aquired from JBM that had come apart into several pieces. After I repaired it I was chagrined to find that there wasn't a comfortable spacing for chairs. That's when I realized that the table should have been made with 2 swinging gate legs, not the 4 that JBM used. Oh well.... it was free because it was broken into several pieces, so I shouldn't complain.