Our work is on someone else's instagram

Shareb

#Debsrand56 bought to my attention yesterday that photos of my Gypsy Wagon were on another person's Instagram account.  This person has posted hundreds of photos of miniature projects and has not given any artist's recognition.  While nothing is expressly written, certainly it is implied that these miniatures are the Instagram account holder's work and that is how her followers have reacted.  I reported my photos as copywrite to Instagram and directed them both to my GL album and my FB page.  This morning when I woke they had removed the photos of my wagon and emailed me to let me know.  I've had a good look through and I'm sure that Tracy's Fairy Pierce is on there, one of Mike's Lake Houses and there are other's GL projects as well.  So we thought it would be a very good idea to let you all know so that you can have a look and if your work is on this Instagram account it will be up to you how you deal with it.

This is the account link: 

https://www.instagram.com/aramesh_021/

• Like 2

I saw not only several of our members' work, but photos from other sites whose work is also, I'm sure, copyrighted; it looked like some of Kris' photos and Robin Carey's, as well as photos I've seen on Wish.  Instagram would do well to be aware of copyright infringement.

• Like 1

I did mention to Instagram that the majority of the work are from other artists so they are forewarned but unless someone steps forward to claim each piece they can't do anything.  Some of the pics are also stock photos of kits for sale on Ebay, Aliexpress etc.  Plus there are things I've seen from Etsy....

I found pictures of 2 of my houses. Being in that weird head space, I answered each person who commented on my artwork with : Thank you, I'm the one who made it, and no one asked my permission to post it on their instagram account.

I had to go make a dang instagram account for myself to do it - that ticked me off. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, grazhina said:

I found pictures of 2 of my houses. Being in that weird head space, I answered each person who commented on my artwork with : Thank you, I'm the one who made it, and no one asked my permission to post it on their instagram account.

Yep - one person on one of my pics had asked her how long it had taken her to make it - I answered her.  Another actually said 'you need to credit the artist who made this' - and I said thanks, that was me.  Of course those have all disappeared since my photos were taken off her account.  I don't want to have to watermark each photo I put on my FB page or on here - but I may have to as I don't really want this to happen again.  I don't have a problem with people sharing my work - in fact it's a compliment.  But to pass it off as their own is completely wrong.  Will you report it to Instagram?

33 minutes ago, Shareb said:

Yep - one person on one of my pics had asked her how long it had taken her to make it - I answered her.  Another actually said 'you need to credit the artist who made this' - and I said thanks, that was me.  Of course those have all disappeared since my photos were taken off her account.  I don't want to have to watermark each photo I put on my FB page or on here - but I may have to as I don't really want this to happen again.  I don't have a problem with people sharing my work - in fact it's a compliment.  But to pass it off as their own is completely wrong.  Will you report it to Instagram?

I don't know if I want to go to the bother. I feel I got my point across to people with this person's account. 

• Like 1

sadly there is nothing that Instagram Pinterest or any other social media site can do unless the person who owns the work/photo claims it.  My niece was the former director of business marketing at Instagram and she said 80% of their contact emails are people reporting infringement.  very sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NellBell said:

I'm noticing some people putting there name on their photo's and or their business name too.

To be honest, given her number of followers and given that each photo had over 1000 views and likes, I was a little tempted to leave them there and just add my details etc.  But...I don't know, it just didn't feel right for me.  As long as people are alerted to this and have the opportunity to do what they want with the info, that's the most important thing.

In my other hobby life, I run a Facebook page dedicated to photography of a lion family, and I post a lot of other zoo photography.  Stealing other's work is a frequent problem on social media.  One thing that I've learned from photography friends is to put a watermark including a copyright symbol on all my valued photos that I post.  I would suggest to anyone who has editing software to do this.  If you don't have editing software but have Microsoft, you can copy your photo onto a Powerpoint slide and then use the text tool to put a copyright on it.  When you save the photo, there is an option to save it as a .jpg in the "Save at type:" box under where you type the file name.  

• Like 1

It's so sad that this happens. Actually what I enjoy most when following a general account (like: dollhouse stuff) is checking on every artist that is credited for their work.

It's disgusting to see people or business taking other people work and using it for their own publicity

• Like 2

Yes, this is a big problem in my cake decorating world as well.  But I often wonder about those decorators who steal others' photos and then a customer asks to reproduce one of those cakes - - and the decorator doesn't have the skills to do it!! ?? :dunce:  

• Like 1

absolutely Jackie, I've had my photos stolen and put on sites where theater baker wasn't that far from me.  I had another baker tell me because they blocked me on instagram so I couldn't see my cakes on her page...I learned the hard way about watermarking....even still it happens and some people are just shameless.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jbnmini said:

But I often wonder about those decorators who steal others' photos and then a customer asks to reproduce one of those cakes - - and the decorator doesn't have the skills to do it!! ??

If you've never seen it, check out CakeWrecks sometime:  https://www.cakewrecks.com/  They've devoted many posts to the "what I asked for vs. what I got" issue of inadequate bakers.  Some of them are hilariously funny, unless you're the person who purchased the cake or the baker whose work was (very badly) ripped off.

• Like 1

its absolutely hysterical, I actually have a book that a wonderful client gave me that has a lot of the pictures from when cake wrecks first came out.  What always amazes me is that so many people think that cake decorating is just a pick up a piping bag kind of thing....Im sure lots of food shows are to help blame for this.  Its not as easy as they make it look and takes years for most of us to get a cakes that appear flawless.  I say appear because a huge part of knowing what you're doing comes in hiding the inherent boo boo that you know is there lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jbnmini said:

Yes, this is a big problem in my cake decorating world as well.  But I often wonder about those decorators who steal others' photos and then a customer asks to reproduce one of those cakes - - and the decorator doesn't have the skills to do it!! ?? :dunce:  

I happened to see 27 cakes that tried and failed  this morning! Oh my goodness...... how bad can a cake try get?

• Like 1

Just a comment back on the instagram thing. You might comment on a photo that the work is actually yours, but not many people (if any) will read that. At the end of the day, most people that like/follow these people will still not realise the work isn’t theirs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shannonc60 said:

Just a comment back on the instagram thing. You might comment on a photo that the work is actually yours, but not many people (if any) will read that. At the end of the day, most people that like/follow these people will still not realise the work isn’t theirs. 

sadly this is a factual statement reflective of most of todays integrity

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Absolutely!  Especially as some of these posts are weeks or months old.  That was the deciding factor for me to report them.

I think you might be referring to my fairy Pierce not Tracy’s. I did see it on the persons photos anyway. Our work is all over Pinterest too.  That’s probably where they got the photos or even google images. There used to be a Pinterest button on all of our albums so anyone looking at them could post the photos to Pinterest. I think that button disappeared tho. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I think you might be referring to my fairy Pierce not Tracy’s. I did see it on the persons photos anyway. Our work is all over Pinterest too.  That’s probably where they got the photos or even google images. There used to be a Pinterest button on all of our albums so anyone looking at them could post the photos to Pinterest. I think that button disappeared tho. 

Was that yours Karin??!!  I love that Pierce!  It was one I returned to again and again when looking through them.  I haven't seen the Pinterest button for years...