Selling a dollhouse?

Antigona

Hi!

I'm half way on the construction of my first dollhouse, a Fairfield! For my surprise, a lot of family and friends are curious about it and some of them even asked me if I would sell it once it's done. I'm not planing on selling it (it's lots of effort, it's not perfect and most important it's my first experience!), but it got me thinking. I don't know much about dollhouse community (as I only related myself with miniatures or dolls), so I wonder if anybody does build a dollhouse and then sells it. Would anybody buy a ready-made house, missing the experience of building and decorating themselves, as an art project or as a family project?

I was thinking that maybe "pro" dollhouse makers build OOAK dollhouses, and make them with very expensive materials (like real gold) and sell it to wealthy families. What do you think? Did you ever sold one of your dollhouses?

:)

Tracy Topps/ Minis on the Edge(whose Pierce dollhouse has appeared in Miniaturas magazine) builds and sells kit dollhouses to collectors, as do some of our other members.  Some of our other members, (mostly the men, I think; check out Jeremy's/ pdlnpeabody album:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=2436) sell their scratch-built houses.  We also have members who make and sell dolls, accessories and possibly furniture.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Tracy Topps/ Minis on the Edge(whose Pierce dollhouse has appeared in Miniaturas magazine) builds and sells kit dollhouses to collectors, as do some of our other members.  Some of our other members, (mostly the men, I think; check out Jeremy's/ pdlnpeabody album:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=2436) sell their scratch-built houses.  We also have members who make and sell dolls, accessories and possibly furniture.

Thanks for sharing! I am super curious about the ready-made dollhouse selling. I guess they are OOAK and also have the artist special touch :)

There are mass-produced dollhouses such as Fisher-Price used to make and a few companies (I can only think of Melissa and Doug at the moment) still do, but the artisan dollhouses are definitely OOAK.

• Like 1

I guess it's because kids get tired of toys faster than before (because they can own more toys too)... Maybe is that dollhouses in the past where like an all-life present and right now most parents doesn't want to spend money on a good handmade dollhouse. If it's for child-playing probably they prefer a plastic dollhouse that will last 1-2 years and then buy another thing...

It makes me sad thinking about it, but on the other side I think it's special to give a child an all-life dollhouse!  (or gifting an adult with it lol I would enjoy it!!)