Do you think I have enough magazines?

rodentraiser

I think I must have kept every miniature magazine, book, how-to publication, and catalog I ever got my hands on. Today Lisa gave me a good portion of her magazines and books. These are some pictures I took of all the magazines while I was sorting them.

What you can't see in this picture is that there's another plastic bag holding a pile of magazines behind the table that my water glass is on. I found it when I thought I had everything sorted  and put away.

DSCN0054.JPG.57cd22d4581262bdbe5600819f3

That whole shelf under the collies and the stuffed animals is miniature magazines and catalogs. The red box (there's 3 of those) all hold old versions of Nutshell News. The newer versions of Dollhouse Miniatures is right next to it and that pile has now gotten higher (the second shelf holds my science books).

DSCN0055.JPG.555058d2d36fd9ff774b01ee845

11 hours ago, Keifer said:

I love magazines.  Sadly I believe their time is coming to an end.  

I agree.  Being on a fixed income, I can't really justify the price with the increased number of ads and decreased number of pages and articles I find useful.  There are such excellent how-tos available on the internet in all the various blogs.

• Like 1

We had a Fred Meyer store here that had the most awesome magazine selection. Then they moved it and I think halved the number of magazines they ordered. Now it just sucks.

I finally got everything sorted (until the next invasion). See that space between the magazines where my clock is? That space is now about 2" wide because I put a fourth pile of magazines in there. There are still two 12" piles of Miniature Collector on my cabinet that I have no idea what I'm going to do with. There were 23 duplicate magazines. Unfortunately, I did dump a lot of the hardcover books. Most of them were older (I'd guess from the 60s and 70s) with B&W photos of some very badly made furniture and other miniature items. I kept a lot of the ones that had patterns in them, though. I separated everything into catalogs, how-to, and just regular magazines. I have Miniature Gazette, Miniature Collector, Nutshell News (Dollhouse Miniatures), and Name National Gazette, plus a couple old miniature magazines from the 70s.

There was frustration (and some swear words) when I sorted all these magazines together and then finally figured out I was sorting the Miniature Gazettes into Miniature Collector with a few Dollhouse Miniatures thrown in. Unsort, resort, wash, repeat. And I have yet to even look through some of these new ones!

Please tell me someone here collects magazines like I do and has more of them!

I went through all my stacks and piles of magazines and culled all the how-to articles, patterns and a few articles about artisans and clipped them and taped them onto three-hole filler paper and sorted them into ring binders (with handwritten indexes to each section in each binder so I can find an article when I want to make something.  I have quite a few books, the older ones are mostly the Chilton publications.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I went through all my stacks and piles of magazines and culled all the how-to articles, patterns and a few articles about artisans and clipped them and taped them onto three-hole filler paper and sorted them into ring binders (with handwritten indexes to each section in each binder so I can find an article when I want to make something.  I have quite a few books, the older ones are mostly the Chilton publications.

I'm doing something similar with a collection of 1980s-90s magazines someone gave me who is moving to a smaller house.  Ordinarily I'm a ring-binder person -- knitting patterns, recipes, etc. -- but realized that I'm running out of space, so I'm scanning the miniatures projects I want to keep and making an index as I go.

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Oh, I thought Kelly was asking about miniature magazines.  I haven't done "the treatment" to my Architectural Digests or American Bungalows, because I have very few of them.

I was, but it's interesting to know who collect other magazines, too.

I used to have a 4ft pile of homeplan magazines that I left behind when I moved to Washington. I'm still kicking myself for that. I also threw out all the old science magazines that I'd had forever. Then, when I came up here, I started collecting home decoration magazines. I had a huge pile and someone at work wanted to read them, so I brought them in and put them behind her desk. A few days later I asked if she was enjoying them and she said she hadn't taken them home yet. Needless to say, we couldn't find them anywhere and all I could think of was that the cleaning crew had tossed them or taken them home.

So now I keep my magazines and they stay home.

I love collecting old mini mags - I have gotten a marvelous collection of NAME journals plus Nutshell news. And now I've picked up some American Miniaturist copies at shows for pennies...love them!!

I love that NAME digitizes their older copies and shares - really generous of them.