What tools do you use?

BunOne

I'm having a problem with the kitchen add-on I'm doing. I couldn't find any sheets of wood that were exactly like the original house, but I found something that was pretty close and will work. However, it's not easy to cut. it wants to splinter off in all directions and it's really hard to keep a straight cut on it. I feel like I need a table saw. My mitre saw can't cut the lengths I need, my hand saw is making a mess, my dremel MultiMax wants to wander off the sides too. On the other hand, I don't know if I'll ever need a table saw again after this! So it seems like a crazy expense to help me cut 2 walls and a couple roof pieces! I did manage to do the extension of the base without a table saw, but there's gonna be plenty patchin' with wood putty and trim cover up going on. I don't want the same mess for the walls, or the wasted wood or aggravation.  I did get one of those cheap mini table saws from harbor freight, it cut about 4 inches into the sheet and stopped. repeatedly. Waste of money, that was. If the consensus is I'll never use it again, I can probably find a neighbor with one who'll cut these pieces for me, but if you all think I'll use it again, say the word. I'll start shopping Craigs List. Any insight is appreciated!

I use the hubs' bandsaw to cut small pieces and he cuts larger bits on his table saw for me.  Do you have a local vocational school with a wood shop?  Sometimes they'll cut things to give the kids practice with the big saws; it can't hurt to ask.

I don't know anything about a band saw so I looked them up on Amazon. They look like a great tool! But can you cut sheets of plywood with them? They look (on Amazon) like they'd be more for cutting shapes and routing etc. I have several dremel tools that I love, the drill press is great, I've used that a lot and I recently got the router but haven't used it yet. Does a band saw do more? Like could you cut plywood sheets with it? it's mainly those big pieces of wood that are not easily handled that I'm thinking I need a table saw for, I just don't know if it's justified. How often do you cut bigger sheets of wood? And I'm wondering about the wood too, what do most of you use for the construction material? Is there a certain grade of plywood or a different type of wood I should be using because this sheet I got isn't easy to work with. It splinters badly but it was the closest thing my local big box store had width-wise to the wood the house is made of. As far as looking at a woodshop class or something, I don't think that'd work for me, I'm too impatient, want to do everything myself, that's why i haven't asked a neighbor to cut those pieces for me yet!  I love learning how to do things, that's what got me interested in finishing this dollhouse. Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm hoping by the second or third house I'll make something that looks half as good as what I've seen here.

A few questions:

How thick are the boards?  

Is it birch plywood? This is the preferred wood. You can glue two pieces together if it’s not thick enough.

What speed is the table saw blade set at?

Are you using a fence guide or freehanding the cut?

I love my mini table saw and it should work for you without any problems, if you could please answer these questions maybe I have a solution for you.

The big box store will do the cut for you on wood purchased from them but make sure they are cutting it to your exact dimensions. They won’t do angel cuts only straight cuts.

also don’t use pressure treated plywood. It contains toxins (arsenic) not meant for interior use. As mentioned above only use birch plywood. 

I don't cut large sheets of plywood on the bandsaw; mostly I cut furniture parts on the bandsaw and the hubs cuts my structural components (walls, floors) on his full-size table saw.  I used to have a scroll saw, but it died of old age and so far the bandsaw does most of what I want.