Hi,

I've just joined and not even sure if I belong here. I've been a miniature dollhouse enthusiast since the '70's and bought a newly built dollhouse in 1978 from The Doll and Toy Museum in Washington D.C. owned by Flora Gill Jacobs. (I had to take out a 6 month mortgage). I've recently acquired an old red roof Gottschalk House from about 1923. I need to add what are known as pressed card board mullions at the windows and balustrades on the two little porches. Does anyone have any thoughts about where I might find someone who could laser cut the design before I bite the bullet and start to tackle the job with an exacto knife. I'll try to attach a photo of what I'm trying to do. *No luck, photo is too large. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, Ann

Welcome to the little family, Ann.  I have requested your post be moved to the New Members Introduction Forum.  How lucky you are to own one of Flora Gill Jacobs' houses!  It broke my heart when she passed; I had the great good fortune to meet her the day we went to her Doll and Toy Museum, and I wish someone had kept it open after she was gone.  Bill and Barbara Studebaker have some of her fixtures, I noticed, when I met them whilst they were still living in VA (once he became an IGMA artisan they moved to Maine).  Once you have made five posts you can make albums of your houses in the Gallery here.

• Like 1

Sable,

Thank you so much. This site looks perfect. I did try on Etsy and was told the person didn't do that sort of work. 

The thought of having to cut it all and try to make it as it should be was daunting. Maybe I could have done t isome years ago but now, not so sure.

Right now,I've been working on doing kits from a woman on Etsy in Tokyo who creates the most amazing pop-up dollhouses in tiny books. Really something to see.     

The kits are detailed and have a learning curve plus you need nimble fingers and a good magnifying pair of glasses. They are a challenge but good brain exercise. You can also buy some of the books finished but they will be more expensive but truly worth the price.

miniaturepopupbook Etsy

Would the card from manila file folders work for your mullions?  You could build them up in layers.  Admittedly doing all that Exacto cutting doesn't sound like much fun, but if you work in strips and lay a piece of waxed paper over your pattern you could work on it over time.  Glue doesn't stick to waxed paper; I line the bottom of my metal gluing jig with a sheet of waxed paper.

That's what I thought I would do if my back were against the wall. If I can get the exact design in laser form, I'd really prefer that. My eyesight isn't as good as it was and with the close work that I'm doing on some mini book kits I've been working on, I'm not sure what result I'll get on the mullions and balustrades.

I like the waxed paper idea, though.

Harbor Freight sells double lens jeweler's loupes that clip onto the earpiece of eyeglasses for about $5USD that are a godsend doing mini work (I stitch carpets).  A cork-backed steel ruler is also nice to have, and Jo-Anne's sells self-healing cutting mats.

Hi - you might also consider using a cricut maker to have those cut - it cuts through balsa and bass wood - if you know someone who has one that would be an option for you.  If you are on facebook you can also check a site there for miniaturists who have a  machine and I'm sure someone could help you.  Welcome again

• Like 1

Thanks, Mike. I think I just fell down the rabbit hole face first. I just got a copy of the Gottschalk book that has only photos from the actual catalogue and shows houses and room boxes,etc from 1890 to to 1931. I found my house listed in 1921 and it’s a great help seeing what that model’s porch balustrades look like. It appears less difficult to replicate than I was thinking. But it’s been great getting all this feedback about sources. I had no idea.