Greetings from a newbie in WI

Hello! I am Leslie and am absolutely new to miniatures. I love collecting antiques, sewing and wood working. I used to live in a Victorian that I got to make real changes too and I guess I just miss that so I got a huge dollhouse to do how I like. I plan to model it like an all black Victorian in my neighborhood that I have been obsessed with for decades. I assume a witch lives there but probably has amazing period specific taste so that is my inspiration. Basically every day is Halloween through the lens of someone living now but wanting to live at the turn of the century.  I am very interested in DIY help and tutorials, I’m pretty crafty but the finishing touches are what seem to elevate each piece. 

I’m very excited to bring my many, many years of collecting and being obsessed with Victorians to life. 

This is me: 

4FEC65BB-93B1-4BA7-AB61-8AECBD145248.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Leslie (you're cute as a bug, BTW).  Which kit has called your name?  The Beacon Hill haunts beautifully; the Pierce and Garfield are nicely large to house extensive amounts of miniatures.  My best source for Victorian furnishings and accessories are Making Dolls' House Furniture and Making Victorian Dolls' House Furniture, both by Patricia King.  The Scale Cabinet Maker is available in online pdf and also offprints, and we have two threads in the General Information Forum here that might be of interest; reviewing how-to books:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=21471 and links to DIY online projects (sadly, some of the sites are no longer available):  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=1290.

• Like 1

Hi Leslie!!  I'm assuming that WI means Wisconsin??  Spent much time in that state as we have good friends there!  Pretty darn cold in winter though!!  Reading through your post I was reminded of a time we were driving through Pennsylvania at night during a thunderstorm in October!  The big old Victorians there with all their Halloween decorations etc looked so incredible lit up in lightening!!  I'd also love to see a pic of the house you're basing this on!  BTW, you look like you have a similar style to my daughter!  Very cool - and so nice to put a face to a name!!!

• Like 1

Hi Leslie, I also live in Wisconsin, in Oak Creek to be more specific. I also love the Victorian era and wood working and sewing! It would be awesome to share some inspirations. See you around, you are in the best mini hands here, and everybody loves to help! Welcome!

• Like 1

So I’m not sure which, if any, kit I have. I spent some time looking at the kits and then a built house in disrepair came up in an estate sale. There were no finishing touches to it so I thought it would make a perfect blank canvas! I believe it is a vintage Real Good Toys kit but maybe someone else knows? This is a pic of it when I’d just brought it in and tried out some black acrylic to see how it would look.

currently I have all the windows off and the door. I got a different door and I’m trying to figure out how I can make the windows appear rounded at the top.... not sure what to do or where to go at the minute. 

0F9CA7B6-C259-4398-A96F-CAFB2C273158.jpeg

You could get Palladian windows to replace the ones you had; you might need to adjust the openings to accommodate them.  The house has lovely bones.  Why not wait on a color until you dry fit new windows and doors and play with it a little bit?  Perhaps it will start chatting with you about what it wants.

Hey Leslie - great house to stat with! You'll find lots of great info here and enjoy the journey!  I was in Napa Valley this last week and spotted an all black Victorian on a hill - had never seen one in person and it was quite striking!

Welcome, Leslie!  I'm a relative newbie here, but have found from the beginning that everyone is very friendly and happy to offer advice and suggestions, so do just jump in!

Have you seen Brae's "Haunted Heritage"?

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/the-haunted-heritage-a-pictorial

It isn't Halloween-y, but more haunted-by-time, so has a gentle sort of around-for-decades look to it.  She does a lot of fearless bashing and is very good at it!  She is also a member of this forum.