Building the Greenleaf Travel Trailer

WBrownIV

31 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

That license plate rocks, and so does Brae!

Amber running lights are one on each side near the top of the front, each RV we've had (30' is the largest we ever owned).

Thank you! I will post how I am planning to make the running/clearance lights so I can get some feedback. I don't want to overdue it!

Unless you're going to hitch your trailer to a vehicle you don't really need the tail/brake lights or running lights to work.  You do want a door light.  Are you going to add an awning?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Unless you're going to hitch your trailer to a vehicle you don't really need the tail/brake lights or running lights to work.  You do want a door light.  Are you going to add an awning?

Oh crap! I was going to illuminate all of that. What is I set up a separate switch so I could turn them on separately? 

I did not think about a door light. I will add that to the list.

I am planning an awning:)

Door lights come in handy at night when neighbors come pounding on your door because their water hookup suddenly isn't working mid-shower or you just heard a pair of trees come crashing down during a hellacious storm and barely miss crushing the two RVs parked on either side of them, and falling on the bathhouse instead (Three Rivers State Park in Sneads, FL, the last time we camped there).

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Door lights come in handy at night when neighbors come pounding on your door because their water hookup suddenly isn't working mid-shower or you just heard a pair of trees come crashing down during a hellacious storm and barely miss crushing the two RVs parked on either side of them, and falling on the bathhouse instead (Three Rivers State Park in Sneads, FL, the last time we camped there).

Oh boy! Why does that sound like the beginning of a Country/Western song!:crazyeyes:

9 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Wow!  That is such a great license plate.  Brae did a fantastic job.  And what a wonderful project you are working on!

Thank you Deborah! She really hit one out of the park! 

Since I have such a cool License plate I needed to light it for all the world to see! I looked online and found a ready made light for 1/10 scale RC cars. I ordered one and it arrived on the slow boat from China.i set off to modify it to be closer to 1/12 scale but I ended up with a pile of broken plastic :eek: I was going to have to make my own.

After finding a photo of a classic camper license light I preceded to make it from styrene. I made a "back wall" and attached a vertical riser to hold the LED. This would allow the light to shine down.large.5ce88d33f14bc_licenselight.jpg.951

I then glued a solid square piece of styrene on one end. I forgot to take a picture of the middle section which was a hollow rod with a window and slot cut out of it to slide over the LED. Another square chunk of plastic was glued to the other end which sandwiched the tube in the middle. I filed/sanded it into shape.large.5ce88f1a76773_makinglicenselight.j

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Our Sunnybrook had a spare tire above the rear bumper; the others' spares are underneath the back bumper.

If you look to the right of the plate you will see three marks. That's where the spare tire carrier on the rear bumper will be attached for stability.

When the time came to start thinking about interior furnishings I started with the bedroom. I had a vague idea of what I wanted but nothing concrete. I remember seeing a photo of a bed with drawers under it and thought that might work. Unfortunately I did not see anything commercially that I liked.  I happened across a posting here mentioning Elf Miniatures in the UK. It seems they do custom bedrooms, kitchens etc. After looking at their website I was blown away at the realism of their products. I contacted them with what I was trying to do. Elizabeth at Elf contacted me with a few ideas. It seems the bed I was wanting to create is called a "Cabin Bed". Typically the cabins on ships did not have closets so drawers were made under the bed to store clothing.

While Elizabeth was coming up with the design, I needed to pick a design and color for the duvet ( and here I've always called it a bedspread). I had my sister on the phone from Chicago and we both were looking at Elf's website at the various fabrics and designs. My father loves orange so we wanted to have that as a color. We ended up with a wild orange/white pattern that would look right at home in the 60's:) After finalizing the design I sat back and waited. 

70eszs.jpg

A week or so later I get a package with Queen Elizabeth's picture on the front. I know what this is!

large.5ceddd71e2f83_bedparts1.jpg.de6816large.5cedddc5df060_bedparts2.jpg.a88712 

Everything was carefully packed and grouped together along with excellent instructions. The parts bags had everything for the bed frame, box spring, duvet, pillows and nightstands. You also get a large bag of sand. The pillows and duvet are not quite stitched completely closed. You take the sand and partially fill the pillows and duvet and stitch the openings closed. The sand adds weight to the duvet so it hangs properly. Okay I've got to learn to sew!

Planning for this eventuality I had grabbed a sewing kit from IKEA. Where does one go to learn how to do pretty much anything? YouTube! Welcome to the invisible stitch! After watching a few different videos i figured it was time to try. Well, I have to admit I was pretty impressed with myself:cucumber: Not only did the stitch actually disappear but more importantly no sand came out! I'll call that good. After staining the wood parts I put it all together. 

large.5cedde9a686f9_finishedbed.jpg.5334

27 minutes ago, Mineejv said:

Wait until you start playing with dolls........ 

Does G.I. Joe count? :)

My mother has a rather large doll collection. When I say large I mean they are everywhere! You really can't sit in the living room as there is no room. A funny story. Some years ago I ended up having to spend the night at my parents. As luck would have it I had to sleep in my sister's old room which Mom had decorated floor to ceiling with dolls. These dolls were from around late sixties to early 80's with many doing some sort of "trick" like saying their prayers or telling time on it's wrist watch. Anyway picture having dolls propped up against the wall and sitting on the bed.

Well sometime in the night (whilst being pitch black). I happen to move in my sleep and must have bumped one of the dolls. Now remember these dolls did something cute and many ran on batteries. Imagine my horror to be awakened by some demonic sounding doll talking to me in the night! Hell no! I jumped out of the bed sending dolls flying, turned the light on and I must have screamed because my parents being in the next room jumped up to see what the heck was going on! 

Here is the doll in question (I hope).

Awe cute! How could this doll scare the crap out of me? Well picture the doll saying it's prayers on almost dead batteries! Now you get the picture:) Needless to say that was the last time I spent the night in that room!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The GI Joe from Bill's era was Barbie size and the later ones were 'way too small for 1:12.

Yes the tale of the ever shrinking G.I. Joe:)  I know a ton of kids played with those 3" figures. Heck I had an entire collection of Star Wars figures that size. With Joe you just had so much fun with the bigger figures, vehicles and equipment. I know somewhere in my parent's back yard is the mummy from "the secret of the Mummy's Tomb" that I buried!

When It came time for the kitchen I again turned to Elizabeth at Elf Miniatures. I had found some interior photos from Shasta campers from the early/mid 60's with the look I was wanting. Imagine my surprise when I found out I could have a real Formica counter top! Elizabeth came up with a few design ideas and I chose my favorite. A few weeks later my kit arrived.

large.5cefe25393b05_Kitchenpieces.jpg.c8