So I answered an ad on Craigslist.......

WBrownIV

Hello Everyone!

A few days ago I came across an ad on Craigslist regarding dollhouse stuff. It seems they were getting out of the hobby and had some stuff to sell. There were a few pictures that looked interesting so I contacted the seller. It was suggested I come see everything. As it was about an hour away I picked up my parents and off on a mini road trip we go :)

After we arrived they showed me what they were getting rid of. HOLY COW! There were built houses, partially built houses, unassembled houses, accessories of every kind, furniture out the ying yang etc. They wanted to sell the whole lot! when I asked about price, the number she said actually was within my budget so I said OK! It took 5 SUV loads to get it all home. 

My question to those of you who may have purchased a large collection before, would you have any advice on how to sort and organize everything? Much of it came in plastic totes or hobby storage boxes but there is so much I'm not sure how to start. 

Help!

Bill

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mineejv said:

Looks like u won’t be building much......enjoy......and have fun.....

I can't wait to start looking through all the boxes!

29 minutes ago, Dalesq said:

Sounds exciting! I’d start by sorting by type: houses, kits, furniture kits, furniture by room, accessories by type, etc.

Ok i will start sorting by groups. Thanks!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Keifer said:

Where abouts in the country are you located?

I'm in Arnold, Mo. just south of St. Louis

11 minutes ago, blueirishmoon said:

Remember, if there's anything you can't use, you can always post in the trade section. You might net someone who can use what you can't.

That's a great idea! Thanks!

Wowsers, Bill, it sounds like you scored the contents of my workshop!  I have my furniture kits, accessories, other small unassembled kits (NOT dollhouses) and Batbies I want to rework one day in the small auxiliary room.  On one set of steel shop shelves I have dolls and doll-making equipment (Sculpey, toaster oven, bags of viscose, etc) with tubs of fabrics & leather scraps next to it on the floor.  Another similar set of shelves holds the stacked unbuilt kits, piles of siding strips and shingles, wallpapers, etc... well, you get the idea.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Wow! That sounds overwhelming but fun. Can’t wait to hear what you ended up with.

I feel like it's Christmas Day and it's time to open presents!:)

7 hours ago, Shareb said:

Wow what fun you're going to have!!!  Very cool!

I can't wait!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Wowsers, Bill, it sounds like you scored the contents of my workshop!  I have my furniture kits, accessories, other small unassembled kits (NOT dollhouses) and Batbies I want to rework one day in the small auxiliary room.  On one set of steel shop shelves I have dolls and doll-making equipment (Sculpey, toaster oven, bags of viscose, etc) with tubs of fabrics & leather scraps next to it on the floor.  Another similar set of shelves holds the stacked unbuilt kits, piles of siding strips and shingles, wallpapers, etc... well, you get the idea.

Holly it was very similar. Bob and Kris, the couple who posted the ad could not have been nicer! She took me through the house showing me everything that was included. It was upstairs, downstairs, in closets, out to see etc. The inventory is vast and varied. My parents had a blast.  Mom even gave them some extra money because she felt that with all the stuff I got she was sure I didn't give her enough:) The couple had a pet pot bellied pig named Charlotte who was the sweetest thing. I think Dad want's one now!

Here are some pictures of the assembled houses. I thought the farm house was RGT but realized later it wasn't. If anyone can identify what they are I would be very thankful!

hwec0i.jpg

Oh yes you can find replacement parts for that porch. First I would sort through what you already have in case you have them already.  If not, post here and see if someone has an exact match for those posts/trim they might sell you.  Also contact Real Good Toys, they carry replacement parts, are pleasant to talk to, and are helpful and kind. It is totally possible if no one has an exact match to just redo all the posts. 

4 minutes ago, Felthen said:

Oh yes you can find replacement parts for that porch. First I would sort through what you already have in case you have them already.  If not, post here and see if someone has an exact match for those posts/trim they might sell you.  Also contact Real Good Toys, they carry replacement parts, are pleasant to talk to, and are helpful and kind. It is totally possible if no one has an exact match to just redo all the posts. 

Thank you! That's good to know

I don't know what the first house is (the Cape Cod), but it's such a generic design, it might be hard to find out.

The second house, the blue one, is an S/W Crafts kit without the roof. I can't remember exactly what it's called and it seems to me it had two names during its lifetime.

The third house was a Southern Mansion at one time and there seems to be enough detail on it that it might be ID'd.

If I have time over the next couple of days, I'll look through my catalogs and see what I can find.

22 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

I don't know what the first house is (the Cape Cod), but it's such a generic design, it might be hard to find out.

The second house, the blue one, is an S/W Crafts kit without the roof. I can't remember exactly what it's called and it seems to me it had two names during its lifetime.

The third house was a Southern Mansion at one time and there seems to be enough detail on it that it might be ID'd.

If I have time over the next couple of days, I'll look through my catalogs and see what I can find.

Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, NellBell said:

Amazing So happy that these house will be fixed or updated and all the little pieces you have will go to good use.

Thanks Nell! There is a crazy amount of stuff to go through!

1 hour ago, fov said:

Emily it does bear a striking resemblance to the Country Estate. I managed to get a better picture of the front.

1rzndh.jpg

2427jo5.jpg