Hello from the Pacific NW

Hello everyone! I am a craft addict and recently (early april) had to take leave from work due to a injury. Repetitive motion from Scooping ice cream made it tough to find what to keep busy with, as it was my dominant hand focused on wrist/finger numbness. At first I was a bit depressed not doing much as I needed to not be drawing/painting or doing my usual cross stitch and colouring books as time fillers because of the specific mechanics. So I found other crafts I had in my drawers and worked a bit on sewing and things related to my Ball Jointed dolls, then while searching aliexpress for hair to make wigs it sent me to these miniature room kits.

After getting one on ebay I was totally hooked. I finished a library and began a greenhouse, then decided I wanted something with less direction on how it had to be built. So I started looking at doll houses to see where to begin, I didnt want to spend an arm and a leg so found a old kit on ebay. The orchid was what caught my eye most when it came to the less giant houses. Though I also ordered one other used kit, The Arthur, which someone had begun by making the windows and did nothing else with. 

I feel super lucky that in Portland there is a art store called Scrap where people donate anything that could be used for art. I spent a few hours there knowing I would find most things I needed for my first house. I came out with things like popsicle sticks to make a floor, linoleum with sticky backs for the bathroom, wallpaper pieces, house paint samples, scrapbook paper for walls, and little fake plants.

Deciding exactly what I want is going to be the hardest part, Im leaning towards just odd finds and vintage items in the orchid, and then a fairy house for the arthur. (Scrap had a huge bag of large pinecones and I want to use them as shingles)

Either way I am so glad I found this site during the process, it has helped in more ways than I can count. The info has been invaluable at finding what I need as well as showing me I can use a lot of things I already own with out having to purchase expensive materials.

• Like 2

Hi, Sara. Welcome to the forum! How lucky you are to have a shop like Scrap as a backup stash. Both of your houses sound like they will be great fun.

When you have made 5 posts you can open albums in the Gallery to share photos of your progress with us.

Welcome to the little family, Sara.  I'm pea-green with envy that you have a source like Scrap.  I do have a couple of suggestions.  First, use a good carpenter's wood glue to put your kit houses together.  Second, I have found that the house will tell you what it wants to become.

@KathieB

I really do feel lucky with it, the best part is all the proceeds go to getting art programs back in schools. So I love supoorting them. Plus I can come out spending less than 50$ with two full paper bags of supplies. They actually have a dollhouse they use as a display that Ive always loved, and it was a big reason I looked in to houses :)

Thank you for the info on that! I have a feeling by end of day Ill have enoug posted with how much I am looking at in the tutorials.

@havanaholly

Im curious if there is a specific wood glue you recommend? I saw in other posts you said Titebond, but while looking on amazon there are three types. Premium, lll Ultimate, and Original. Do you have a preference?

I do also have aileens tacky glue and a ton of elmers. 

The more I work and find supplies the more they are speaking to me on what they want to become. So I completely agree.

I wanted to thank you by the way for all the amazing detailed help you give here. Most of the threads I find mose useful have you replying. I really appreciate your being there for us all as well as having such passion :)

@Dalesq @mesp2k

Hello and thank you! Im so ready to get to detail work now that the sanding/fillinf/priming is done.

Hi Sara, welcome.....youll find as you move through this hobby that you'll own more glues than you can imagine!  Many people use wood glue, aanad just as many use Aileens Tacky Glue - both are great with this hobby and multi functional.  Welcome again and hope to see pictures soon!