Hello from Michigan

I’m Heather. 

I saved up and bought a Duracraft Cambridge kit when I was about 10 in the 1990’s. My dad took one look and said “No way!”

My mom recently discovered it in the garage and sent it to me. I am slowly working on it. I’m up to dry fitting the first floor. 

• Like 1

Welcome to our group Heather!  Duracraft was the brand of my first doll house as well!  A favorite of many members here!  Dry fitting is the way to go as those little houses can be a bugger if you've already glued it!  Keep us posted on how it's coming!

Once you have made five posts you can start albums in the gallery.  Meanwhile, your picture may need to be sized smaller to post directly.  I used something like this:  https://www.miniatures.com/WallRoom-Divider-P17687.aspx between the rooms I made the dining room and the parlor.

I have found the easiest way for me to resize pics is to open them in the PAINT program and then RESIZE at 50 or even 75%.  Then you should be able to attach them to a post, but an album will have to wait until you've made 5 posts as Holly stated.

Thanks for the tips! 

I like the wall divider. 

I’m planning on letting the kids use the house once it’s built. I’ll probably make some furniture. 

I think I’m just going to paint the body grey and do glossy white trims and a red door. Otherwise I may be in the painting stage for years. 

I’m also thinking I’ll leave out the stairs. They take up so much space in the interior. 

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I would never use glossy or even semi glossy paint on a miniature house (I did once and the room looked awful); you can always paint over flat finish.

2 hours ago, HeatherY said:

I think I’m just going to paint the body grey and do glossy white trims and a red door. Otherwise I may be in the painting stage for years. 

I think gloss might make a nice contrast on bits of trim. I wouldn't use it to paint walls or ceilings or other large areas, as it reflects light, which emphasizes any irregularities in the surface. 

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

oops, double post. Ignore this one.

I feel so sad for your 10 year old self!!  After all that saving you must have been so excited to finally have the kit - only to be told you couldn't put it together!!!  Must have been heart-breaking at the time - although as I parent I get your dad's point of view too!  :D So glad you've finally been able to get it started - it'll be wonderful to do it for your own children.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! 

I started the trim in glossy white. 

My son is five and he’s really excited about the house. He keeps wanting to help but there’s really nothing he can do at this point. He’s excited to help decorate. 

My mom ended up finding a dollhouse that was handmade by a man in the 70s for his daughter. He handmade all the furniture too. It’s pretty cool. My niece has it now. I very untastefully redecorated it at 10 years old. *cringe* If I ever get it back I’ll rectify that! 

10 hours ago, HeatherY said:

My son is five and he’s really excited about the house. He keeps wanting to help but there’s really nothing he can do at this point. He’s excited to help decorate. 

When my brother was about that age, he wanted to help Mom paint some real life furniture. She armed him with a can of water and a paint brush and let him have at it. He was delighted to be helping. Don't know if your son is that gullible, but it's a thought. :D 

When one of my girl cousins was that age my mother recruited her parents, my stepdad and me to paint all the porch furniture white, so this cousin found an unattended paint brush and proceeded to start in my parents' bedroom, just off the front porch; fortunately for their furniture, but not for one of my dolls she had previously taken in there, she was found and discouraged from continuing...  I like Kathie's mom's idea better!

• 3 weeks later...