11/09/06 MLM Have you ever done any?

Minis On The Edge

Multi Level Marketing (MLM).......Pyramid Schemes...Network Marketing. Have any of you ever tried any? Did you ever find success with any of them?

I was just wondering because there are Pyramid schemes (Those are illegal because only those at the top makes any money) and then there are true Multi Level Marketing (Or network marketing) where your "Team" can all make money.

I've known a few people who have gotten sucked into those and lost big. I never fell for it. Any kind of get rich quick schemes and get rich doing nothing plans are garbage. Like you said, only those at the top get rich. I've never heard of any where everyone makes money. Could you name one?

Forms of these can be found all over. A 12-year-old friend of ours was here last night talking about the great sock exchange. You send one pair of socks to the person who sent you the letter and send letters to 6 other people. She says she already got one pair of socks back, so she has at least broken even.

Personally, I've never gotten involved. I can remember my mom and dad talking about this kind of scam when I was no more than 5 years old. That was 60 years ago! Funny what sticks in your mind.

But I guess listening in eavesdropping on the grownups' conversation when they think you're asleep is more compelling than listening to a lecture or even gently delivered words of wisdom. :)

Years ago my ex wanted to try Herbalife - so we sold it. We didn't work very hard at it, in fact we didn't work at it at all - even so what we sold made what we used ourselves free. Can't beat that any. Of course about a year after we got out of it there were rumors of a couple of people on the supliments dying and threats of law suits for the company - since we weren't into it I didn't really follow up to see if they were just rumor or really happened <?> I suspect if we'd actually worked at it we could have made some money - but sales is really not my kinda thing - especially the Amway/Herbalife kinda thing. I know some folks who have done ok selling Avon but nobody who's gotten rich off it :)

-David

I am always asked by friends (Last night for instance) and there was one that hubby and I made a lot of money with but we really really worked it. When I got preganat with Sarah, I had to let it go because of the driving back and forth and meeting people and I had small kids & worked fulltime and did dollhouses :D It really did work but I have also been with Amway (We don't have to say NOTHING I am so sure everyone knows about that Pyramid MLM :) .

I have a friend doing something else and she wants me to get into it too but I told her I would become a customer (I already have too much on my plate) I just don't know how to let her down any easier without hitting her over the head with a stick and saying NO :) .

I remember that one too David. I think I bought some of there products too.I hate taking pills so nothing happened to me :hug:

Yeah, with my friend contacting me about this stuff it made me start wondering about my buddies here and how many of you have been involoved with any MLM or Pyramids.

Nope stayed away from them.

We do play with in the stock market some. That is scary enough. We sold a house and put our money in with Janus unfortuantly right when it started to drop real big. We lost a whole lot of that money in 3 years. Hubby took it out and put it with a friend and we made it all back plus some in about a year. We have had it with him since(about 3 years now) and have done really well.

Did anyone see on the national news a few months ago about the woman who killed her preacher husband in Tennessee? The stress of him losing their money over one of the Pyramid Schemes (along with some other things)sent her over the edge. That was pretty sad.

A friend of ours got involved in a computer ad deal. You go to a seminar, get the info, toss in some cash and you are off. He wouldn't tell me the info, wanted us to go to HIS seminar. Then you have your own seminar and so on. He sold his business and invested big. Last I heard, he couldn't get anyone to come to his seminars and almost lost his house (his kids bailed him out) Now he has nothing, no job, no savings. I just remember when he got into it and bragging how he was going to be a multimillionaire in 6 months.

Did anyone see on the national news a few months ago about the woman who killed her preacher husband in Tennessee? The stress of him losing their money over one of the Pyramid Schemes (along with some other things)sent her over the edge. That was pretty sad.
Is that what happened? I did not hear the details of why. That is a shame for sure. I shun anything that says you can be righ in months and there are some people so trusting.

It's a shame that the law still allows this type of mess.

Is that what happened? I did not hear the details of why

Yeah thats part of what happened. I am sure there were alot of other things going on in that house. But that was one big issue.

I don't trust all that stuff either. Get rich quick doesn't work for 99.9% of people. Good old fashioned hard work is the way to go. I think when you learn to work hard you appreciate what you have and you won't squander it.

I believe that there are only 2 ways to get rich quick...

1). Win the lottery

2). Inherit from a rich relative.

Since the lottery gods don't seem to know that I exist, even tho I am jumping up and down and yelling at them...option number one is out and I come from poor peasant stock so option number two doesn't seem feasible either...Oh well...guess I gotta work like every other poor shmuck out there and if I'm lucky...I'll break even??? LOL... But seriously, I have found that the saying "if it sounds too good to be true...." is the truth!

There are more important things in life than making money & being filthy, stinking rich ( although I wouldn't have minded being just a tad grubby & smelly...lol). Seriously, we went through some financially miserable times, but never in our wildest dreams did we ever consider

"multi-level marketing" (still looks like a pyramid to me!). I agree with Irene, if it sounds too good to be true, it isn't.

A friend of ours got involved in a computer ad deal. You go to a seminar, get the info, toss in some cash and you are off. He wouldn't tell me the info, wanted us to go to HIS seminar. Then you have your own seminar and so on. He sold his business and invested big. Last I heard, he couldn't get anyone to come to his seminars and almost lost his house (his kids bailed him out) Now he has nothing, no job, no savings. I just remember when he got into it and bragging how he was going to be a multimillionaire in 6 months.

Things like that make me so mad! There should be stiffer penalties for people who start these kinds of schemes. I have heard of stories like these where people's lives have been ruined. It's just disgusting.

They have been advertising something on T.V. around here,another get rich.They say you only have to invest $50 and you can become wealthy.Nosy me, I called for info.It's a kind of dollar store gimmick but with more expensive things. At least that's what they show on T>V. When I called I asked just what their product is and they said they can't tell anyone unless you send the $50.They said they've been in business for 50 years.I asked for info and when they said they don't send any,I should sign up now,I asked why?Are they going out of business that I can't wait a week for info.They sent a packet but it still didn't say what their products were and the catch is,sure it's 50 to join but then it's another 350.00 to finish paying them off.Like your business will make it.It seems from the pictures that it's ceramics and luggage and junk. bergie

Anyone remember the ads for selling greeting cards in the backs of the OLD comic books?

Yup. Sent off for the sales kit when I was about 8 years old. Was absolutely shattered when I discovered I'd have to TALK to people to sell the cards to get money to pay for them. The memory is a bit vague, but I think Mom bailed me out of this one.

Anyone remember the ads for selling greeting cards in the backs of the OLD comic books?

Oh man I'd totally forgotten about the cards - I tried that myself.. I don't think I was more than about 6 or 7.. we ended up buying the cards ourselves - good lesson though - I made more recycling cans and bottles than from having to buy and sell those cards lol :drool:

-David

• 1 month later...