Dura-Craft Cambridge

HeatherY

The wood on several of my pieces is very brittle. I think just because it’s so old. I chose a high gloss paint which in hindsight was a mistake. I’ll use flat next time but I’m too far in to switch. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/18/2019, 5:43:18, Mid-life madness said:

Way to go! The trim is sooo monotonous. I love the Cambridge, I have one waiting to be built. I am going to enjoy watching your progress.:bigwink:

My husband just picked one up for me so I look forward to this info

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CynthiaO said:

My husband just picked one up for me so I look forward to this info

It’s been so long since I posted! 

Im stuck on painting again. *eye roll*

I’ll post a picture in a few minutes. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Ok. Husband took over my craft room as an office due to COVID and I homeschooled. Now I have time again and I reorganized my house. 

I still have a ton of painting to do. I also screwed up and touched up paint with a different paint. Fail. And I put the third floor supports in wrong. Have to decide how to fix that. 

Need to spend some time reacquainting with the instructions. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t seem to post pictures anymore. Don’t know how I did the work around 2 years ago. 

I’ve been touching up paint and working on the roof trim now. Done more in one day than I have in a year! 

I somehow lost the window panes for the dormers. I’m sure they are somewhere..... I think I’ll just buy a sheet of acetate and put in blank ones. If I find the originals I can glue on top. Once the dormers are in, I’ll start the shake roof. 

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Wish I could get a picture uploaded. 

I did the roof trim. Working on dormers and the decorative roof thingys. Painted first floor ceilings and got paint in my hair! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, HeatherY said:

Painted first floor ceilings and got paint in my hair! 

Less likely to get paint in your hair if you turn the house on its face and paint the ceilings while they are vertical. :) 

• Like 1

It look that you are on the last stretch of the project.  Have you thought about how you are going to decorate the interior?

OH no Heather!  I'm so sorry you got paint on your hair.  I would recommend separating the affected hair and to use olive oil.  Then wrap the section hair in saran plastic wrap.  The olive oil and heat will soften the paint, and allow it be easily removed with a fine-tooth comb after waiting or a hour or so.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2021 at 1:56 AM, Cati said:

It look that you are on the last stretch of the project.  Have you thought about how you are going to decorate the interior?

OH no Heather!  I'm so sorry you got paint on your hair.  I would recommend separating the affected hair and to use olive oil.  Then wrap the section hair in saran plastic wrap.  The olive oil and heat will soften the paint, and allow it be easily removed with a fine-tooth comb after waiting or a hour or so.   

No worries. I just washed it right out. 

Yes, I was wondering about that. Any suggestions for places to buy furniture that won’t break the bank? There’s a dollhouse shop about 30 minutes away. I’ll go visit there and maybe buy a bit, but I think it will get pricey very quickly. 

I’ve got the dormers in. I ordered an ez cutter on the advice of another thread and I’ll start shingles once it arrives. 

• Haha 1

Thanks. I’ll check that out. 

I had my husband help me with gutters because the angles were driving me nuts. The ez cutter is phenomenal! I wish I’d had one from the beginning. 

I started the shingles. Boy, that’s going to take forever. 

9 hours ago, HeatherY said:

...I started the shingles. Boy, that’s going to take forever. 

I suppose it does; I zone out when I'm shingling.

Edited by havanaholly
  • Like 1