Alison Jr - Directions Question

Pivot

Hi there - I am working on my 2nd dollhouse and am finding the directions for the Alison Jr to be lacking compared to the Princess Anne. 

Since people here were so much help with my first dollhouse, I am hoping someone can help me out with understanding the directions.

There is a step to put a groove fill in the house to go into the floor's groove inside the stair hole, leaving a smooth wall.  I do not understand why it is needed. I don't feel a grove to fill in the stair hole at all. And I can't find any pictures of it to get a better understanding.

And what does "bevel faces out" mean on the roofs? I can't tell if that means the shorter side of the slanted edge faces out or if the longer side of the slanted edge faces out. 

Any help at all would be appreciated. 

Lastly - any tricks to avoid brush strokes on the interior MDF walls? I switched to a sponge brush and that helped somewhat but not really enough. 

Amy, I can't help you with your instructions (except I think "bevel faces out" means the longer side of the slanted edge is on the under side and the shorter is on top).  If you don't load your brush with paint and do light coats it helps to minimize the brush strokes.  More years ago than I can (or care to) remember I was told to alter the direction of the brush strokes with each coat, starting and finishing with the grain.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019, 4:46:09, Pivot said:

Lastly - any tricks to avoid brush strokes on the interior MDF walls? I switched to a sponge brush and that helped somewhat but not really enough.

These are absolutely great!!   https://www.etsy.com/listing/160338793/stencil-roller-dense-foam-2-inch-roller?ref=shop_home_active_3&frs=1

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I sanded everything down and used a roller and sponge brushes and it looks terrible again. I am giving up and going to just put up card stock as wallpaper. I love the look of paint and I think it shows how much time you put into it (this is a gift for my niece's birthday), but it looks absolutely terrible. The worst is the ceilings and I am hoping that no one will see them. 

When I did the plywood Princess Anne, I painted 2 coats and it looked perfect. I hate hate RGT switched to MDF only. Paint goes on like a breeze my butt.

I'll keep an eye out for it. I am running into a time crunch as it has to be done by June 14th at the latest. So getting a little stressed. 

If only Hobby Lobby was open on Sundays. Michael's scrapbook section is terrible now. It's all that vinyl Circuit stuff.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

... roll of anaglypta wallpaper ...

1 hour ago, Pivot said:

I'll keep an eye out for it. ...If only Hobby Lobby was open on Sundays. 

Check a DYI store like Lowe's or Home Depot. Hobby Lobby or Michael's are not likely to carry real life wallpaper.