Pros and Cons of the Cricut Maker

Shareb

So, as it's my birthday this weekend and our local craft shop has the Cricut Maker machine on sale from tomorrow, I'm considering getting it.  I've looked at them before, but it seems that the 'new' maker cuts balsa and card up to 2.4mm thick which is pretty darn good!  Plus of course it cuts paper, material, leather and vinyl etc.  So definitely my daughter and I will find uses for it.  I could have cut all the panelling out using this and it would have been far more perfect than my hand cutting!  Plus of course I believe it's what Miranda used to make my apothecary sign.  There are other cutters out there like this - ie the Brother Scan n cut.  Would love some feedback on whether it's worth buying this machine!  I'll also help with sore fingers, hands and arms!

I have the earlier model, the Cricut Explore, and I love it. I make all kinds of things for my houses and minis, in addition to specialty cards for friends and family. You will love it and have a lot of fun. I'm constantly discovering new uses for it too. :ohyeah:

Happy birthday to a fellow June baby. :D 

• Like 1

Jumping into this thread.  I too am anxious to hear what all mini people use these tools.  I think if I had more ideas, I might just spend $$ on one.  Michael's keeps doing great sales on the Cricut.

• Like 1

I bought the Silhouette Portrait - it was very affordable and seems like a fit for what I needed. I used the software and found it pretty easy to make my own files.

I also watched some Youtube tutorials about making files and cutting, and that helped me decide too. 

I have mine, but I haven't used it yet!!! I plan on using it for some wainscot panels, and some smaller scale doors and window opening and paper art.

From what I understand, the pros are that it really can cut cleanly and intricately for most needs. The Cons are that it won't cut very thick paper, and the software can be overwhelming at first.

I saw someone on line using it for cutting out multiple pieces for furniture in card (from a reduced furniture pattern), then gluing them together for thickness and they looked nice. I think there is a lot of potential. I also love to make putz houses for Christmas, so this will be handy for that. 

I also saw someone using it to cut out their own art - they demonstrated how to do this with a printer and the cutter and the software...and it was cool! You could even run paperdolls through it and not have to cut by hand once you generate a cutting file! 

Anyway - when I use it I will report back. 

For simple things like wainscoting I think it will work well.

• Like 1

Well today is the first day of the sale and I doubt that they'll have many of these machines - because it's only the 'limited edition' blue machines on sale.  So I'm going to head on in shortly.  I have to cross the city today to visit my elderly uncle - I see him every two weeks - an hours drive each way.  Winter here and the weather is BLAH!  Wet and windy - ah well, time to go out into it!  I'll let you all know when I have used it!  Sounds like it could be a really decent tool for my crafts!

• Like 1

Rebecca, I don’t think you’ll regret it. I have a Klik n Kut from years ago and hardly used it (doesn’t work great with a Mac) but the potential for such a machine is huge. Once you start coming up with ideas, you’ll keep finding uses. And travel safe. You are probably under the same low pressure system as we are (there was a big one coming through the last few days so taking a stab there).

• Like 1

I just posted a pic of some tiny paper things I made with my Cricut. I also made all the shingle strips for the Hermitage. I’ve used it for making flower and leaves, book jackets and thicker book inserts too. And I’ve  barely scratched the surface of possibilities!

• Like 3

I am also a paper crafter and have an older cricut machine. The newer versions do even more!!! Yes they can do everything in the above posts. These tools can cut tiny bags, hat boxes, shirt boxes, veggie boxes, Tiny banners, letters for signage, chipboard trim and shingles. If used properly they do cut clean and precise. They cut thin chipboard such as a cereal box easily as well as vinyl. The self adhesive vinyl works well when cutting small letters to place on plain metal buckets etc. If you design your own furniture, you can cut your patterns from chipboard with these machines too. That includes cutting lightweight fabrics for curtains, cushions, bedspreads etc.  If you take precise measurements, you can cut your wallpaper to the exact rectangle. They make great full size birthday banners and such too. I know I have missed some things since this was just off the top of my head. They are quite useful if you are willing to take the time to learn how to use them. There is a learning curve but they are easier to use than my old version. Watch lots of you tube videos and then decide.

• Like 2

Well I bought it!!!!  Now that I've come home and read the rest of your responses I am so glad I did!  Wow - the possibilites!!  Thank you all so much - I must bookmark this thread so I can keep coming back for ideas! :D 

6 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Rebecca, I don’t think you’ll regret it. I have a Klik n Kut from years ago and hardly used it (doesn’t work great with a Mac) but the potential for such a machine is huge. Once you start coming up with ideas, you’ll keep finding uses. And travel safe. You are probably under the same low pressure system as we are (there was a big one coming through the last few days so taking a stab there).

The weather has been utterly diabolical today!  Loads of surface flooding, thunder/lightning!  So glad to be home - and now the sun comes out! :D 

• Like 3