Changing a stair opening -tool suggestions?

jbnmini

OK, so you all know I did the impulse purchase of those amazing stairs at the last mini show..... I've test-fit them in the current opening to discover that it won't fit: it is too close to the wall to accommodate the curved banister at the bottom, and the stairs are longer that they obstruct the door into the next room. So I am considering relocating the opening so that the stairs will be along the back wall.  I am thinking I want to put in a false door under the stairs - maybe the door to the kitchen/servant quarters.  :)  Now I am not much of a carpenter and do not have a lot of fun power tools to play with.....but how on earth do I get in there to cut out a new opening!???  Or must I resign myself to the idea of actually knocking out that floor in order to make the cut? 

IMG_20180624_175806 - Copy.jpg

Only because I have a mini table saw would I remove the floor and cut it with my saw. Otherwise I’d use a drill and drill many holes as an outline and fit a wood saw blade for a Bow Saw into the holes and try to cut through that thicker plywood. I’d wrap paper towels around the ends of the blade so I could apply an up/down motion. Then I’d clean up with a dremel.

I have a Dremel, but not a flex shaft.  :(   I do, however have an angled shaft attachment, so maybe that will work with Sable's suggestion!?   Will give it a go!  Thanks- just was kinda stumped as to my next step.

If the floor can be removed I'd be tempted to go that way; or else save the stairs for another build, fill the hole and let the stairs for this house be in the invisible rear half.