Little Women

shamrockgirl18

I've been working on Orchard House a little at a time- I would love to find a doll to put in there and inspire me more. I've been looking around online alot but I cannot seem to find one that makes me think "Oh, that's Jo!" or "She'd be a perfect Marmee!" etc.

Can any of you literature-loving dollhouse gurus point me towards some dolls that make you think of Little Women?

That's a tough one. I went on this quest as well once - thinking I wanted Marmee and the girls to occupy a house of mine. 

I found it almost impossible. I considered antique looking china-head dolls, and I often considered the Erna Meyer vicorian era and biedermeier era doll collections - thinking I'd piece something together from all the options (there are different sizes and ages of lady/girl dolls that would have worked and the dolls are lovely but expensive and only on ebay it seems). And the jointed Heidi Ott dolls were an option - but less variation in their faces than the Meyer dolls.

Are you wanting realism? That's a tough one.  Have you looked here? https://minidollkit.com/ . maybe you could piece something together.

ANYWAY - i ended up abandoning the idea of the family, but I did end up with the Susan Sirkis-designed Historical Half doll of Louisa May Alcott and I was quite happy with that.

United-States-Historical-Society-half-do

She could be Marmee...

You may want to consider her. If I were to do it again, I'd go with the Erna Meyer or Heidi Ott dolls - the Ott dolls often have wigs you can select separately and put together your own set. They have teenage size dolls for the younger characters. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

How realistic do you want them to be? (And how much are you willing to spend?!) When I needed dolls for my Little House in the Big Woods build I got some custom made by an Etsy seller: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=6335

dolls5.jpg

I was able to specify the hair and clothes to make them look like they're described in the books.

They're cloth, so maybe not what you're looking for. But there are other sellers on Etsy who make more realistic dolls, who might do a custom order.

• Like 2