Seeking a book

otterine

I am seeking the book Making Model Horse Harness by Anne Funnell.  She used to be Lenham Pottery Models, involved with both horse models (including scale model harness kits, which would be awesome to find as well) and dollhouse pottery.  Her business and website are no longer active as of a couple of years ago.  The book was self-published as well, so it's likely scarce.

I did find the person who was planning to take over the business and thought I would be able to purchase a pdf of the book that way, but I have not heard back from them since my initial contact a few months back.  So, I am back to looking for the book in the miniature community.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :)

57 minutes ago, otterine said:

...The book isn't available for sale, and the kits are slightly different from what I need.

Well that's pitiful,, especially in light of all those Breyer horse collectors out there.

It looks like you could also download the PDF or read it online here: https://leerebookes.com/ebookfile/read.php?book=Making%20Model%20Horse%20Harness.

They have a 30 day trial subscription to read ebooks. Honestly, I try to buy actual content whenever I can - my husband is a composer/musician, so I know how important it is for people to actually buy music, art, etc, as opposed to getting free downloads. However, in this case, the book isn't for sale, so this may be the only way you can find it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the lead, Margie.  I tried signing up for the free trial, but the book was not on the site once I registered.

Most Breyer sites send me to the existing kit sites (which are usually just the bridles and saddles) and to people who make the final items for purchase. One tutorial I did find was for 1:9 scale, which is a lot of math conversion for a process I already don't know well.

At this point, I'm fairly certain I can fake it from the pictures I took at the carriage museum and buy hardware from the Riorondo - the one I had found previously and Holly mentioned above.  It's just the kits I saw in a magazine and the booklet by Anne Funnell looked perfect for what I needed.

It is a shame when mini businesses vanish into the ether once people retire.

• Like 1

You might try this group:

http://www.modelhorseblab.com/forums/

There used to be a group I belonged to called Haynet and at one time they were the biggest group of collectors online. Haynet moved to Yahoo groups:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Haynet/info

This is a dumb question, but have you tried eBay? I've looked on eBay for a number of books that I thought were long gone and surprise! there they were. Sometimes at a cost I couldn't afford, however. LOL

I'm really only knowledgeable about the horses and even there, I've lost track of all the new horses that have come out in the last ten years, so I really can't be of any help to you.

The other thing you could do is contact people who show the model horses with their tack and ask them where they learned to make harnesses. I do know that correct harnesses for Breyers are very expensive (to me, anyway), so there must be a lot of detail work and dedication to making them. If you see an ad on eBay stating the model they're selling is in condition 1, 2, 3, or 4, or if someone says their model is PSQ (photo show quality) or LSQ (live show quality), it means they show their horses and may know someone you can ask about making tack or someone who may know where you can buy the book.

Good luck!

I used to show my models when I lived in the Bay Area and at one time, I could have pointed someone to at least five or more people who made harness for their horses. Unfortunately, the PNW doesn't have too many shows and the price of a good show horse has gone through the roof, so I haven't been in the community for almost 20 years.

I always find out how much I don't know when I'm trying to help someone, though. *sigh*

I'll add here just in case: I may not know much about the newer horses, but I have a comprehensive book on models up to about the year 2000. Not just the soft cover book that came out, but the large, hard cover volume that I paid $50 for then. So if anyone needs an old model horse ID'd...

Thanks so much for the input.  I have had one offer to build it for me, and I think the price is fair considering the work.  But, you all know me, I want to give it a try first.  I did buy a bridle at the Bishop show to get a feel for the size and construction, and it was a reasonable price.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

PS, in case someone is looking up horse tack and finds this, there was a series of four articles in "Nutshell News" by Sylvia Rountree called "The Scale Saddlery," each with instructions about making particular items --

• January 1985: “Equestrian saddlery and accoutrements” (pp.112-??)
  • February 1985: “The snaffle bridle” (pp.88-89, 107-109)
  • March 1985: “English saddles” (pp.74-75, 78-81)
  • April 1985: “A bit about bridles” (pp.82-88)

and a "horsey" issue in January 1982 with numerous articles and profiles, including the how-to "Grooming for a photo finish” (pp.77-79) by Sandy Tomezik about customizing Breyer horse models.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019, 2:43:47, Bluestocking said:

PS, in case someone is looking up horse tack and finds this, there was a series of four articles in "Nutshell News" by Sylvia Rountree called "The Scale Saddlery," each with instructions about making particular items --

• January 1985: “Equestrian saddlery and accoutrements” (pp.112-??)
  • February 1985: “The snaffle bridle” (pp.88-89, 107-109)
  • March 1985: “English saddles” (pp.74-75, 78-81)
  • April 1985: “A bit about bridles” (pp.82-88)

and a "horsey" issue in January 1982 with numerous articles and profiles, including the how-to "Grooming for a photo finish” (pp.77-79) by Sandy Tomezik about customizing Breyer horse models.

Do you happen to have copies of these? I'd be willing to purchase or pdf.. just the articles  :)