Ivy Hollow Rural Free Delivery Post Office

otterine

For this year's HBS Creatin Contest, I'm building a small town post office featuring Rural Free Delivery. I'm taking a Breyer thoroughbred horse and altering it, adding a flocked finish, new mane and tail. I'm also building a mail wagon, using a doctor's buggy kit for its realistic chassis and wheels. I've been working on this project the past few months, but I am making better progress now that I have figured out my direction on things. I'm planning a tree and a stitched rug if I can fit it in the timeline. :) The big challenge will be the horse harness and building the mail wagon cabin from scratch, and I am busily researching behind the scenes.

Unlike past years, I am openly blogging on the build - this is the intro post showing my 1917 postcard inspiration and the current look of the primed horse. I'm planning to make the build appear new, stepping back in time.  I've also created an album on Greenleaf.

• Like 5

I just came from admiring your pictures. This is such a cool idea for a project. As much as I love a good ole regular dollhouse, I also really love mini things like this that are out of the norm.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I just posted my research on the postcard that inspired this build. I was able to figure out who wrote the card, to whom it was addressed and the possible people in the card. That surprised me, because often you are just left to wonder who the people are in old photos. :D

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/ivy-hollow-inspiration-photo-and

• Like 1

Fantastic adventure. I appreciate your thoroughness both as a history buff and a genealogy geek. I, too, enjoy the backstory of each of my builds, although in my case I tend to invent a lot of it but do hang it on facts as are available.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Congratulations, Brae, for the Honorable Mention (with $$ prize) in the 2019 Creatin' Contest! :clap: 

I am amazed at the incredible variety of beautifully executed interpretations of this building. Competition was stiff!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Congratulations, Brae, for the Honorable Mention (with $$ prize) in the 2019 Creatin' Contest! :clap: 

I am amazed at the incredible variety of beautifully executed interpretations of this building. Competition was stiff!

Thank you so much, Kathie!!  :flowers:  I already have ideas for 2020! Maybe this will be my year!  :D