Hello from Florida

How exciting it is to be back amongst other miniaturists. I started this wonderful craft almost 40 years ago, then took off many years to raise my children and pursue my career in government. Now retired I have been back doing what I love which is miniatures of course. I have too many houses to list as well as shadow box scenes. Right now I'm in the process of renovating my craft room so I can get back to work on The Contemporary Ranch which is screaming to be finished. As this house is very modern I am making all the furniture by hand. I hope to upload pictures someday. I'm looking forward to interacting with others and learning new skills. Thanks for having me. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Jacqui.  If you retired from working for the State of FL, where in the heck were you when I was living just north of Tallahassee, in Havana, with nobody to play minis with?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lula said:

Hello Honey, 

Glad to know you’re an expert (not me) perhaps I’ll pick your creative brain in the future.  

Hello Lula... Please feel free to pick my brain anytime. We can't take knowledge with us so we may as well pass it around :deal:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Jacqui.  If you retired from working for the State of FL, where in the heck were you when I was living just north of Tallahassee, in Havana, with nobody to play minis with?

Thank you Holly. When I worked in Government it was in the State of Mass., but I have been down here for 26 years. I'm still looking for "mini mates" LOL I'll settle for groups like this considering I'm so anal when I get to working on my minis. I'm told I'm the only Floridian that hibernates in the summer.:smiliesmaker_h4h:

No, you're not. Speaking as a former Floridian, I too hibernate in the summer and avoid heat whenever possible. I live in NC now, but this summer is worse than usual; yesterday's high was in the upper 90's. I only went outside after 8pm, and that only for a quick run to my library to return and replenish my stack of books.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2019, 11:11:06, havanaholly said:

In that case, where are you now?  I'm about a mile west of Pensacola.

Hi Holly. I now live in Cape Coral which is between Ft. Myers and Naples. I've been here for about 25 years.

On 7/3/2019, 7:46:01, blueirishmoon said:

No, you're not. Speaking as a former Floridian, I too hibernate in the summer and avoid heat whenever possible. I live in NC now, but this summer is worse than usual; yesterday's high was in the upper 90's. I only went outside after 8pm, and that only for a quick run to my library to return and replenish my stack of books.

Yes I am LOL - Don't feel too bad Cynthia, I'm hibernating too. The heat is crazy all over the country. I don't really mind it this year because I'm buried in reorganizing my studio. When it's done (and before I mess it up again) I'll share pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019, 8:03:27, Honey412 said:

Hi Holly. I now live in Cape Coral which is between Ft. Myers and Naples. I've been here for about 25 years.

Hello!! I live in Fort Myers - I'm just across the river from you! :wave: Been here since 1968.

• Like 1

Just before I got my first pacemaker we did the "Big O" hike and afterwards stayed at Koreshan State Park and paddled a little piece of the Estero River and visited Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge and found Nancy's Dollhouses & Miniatures in Naples.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Just before I got my first pacemaker we did the "Big O" hike and afterwards stayed at Koreshan State Park and paddled a little piece of the Estero River and visited Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge and found Nancy's Dollhouses & Miniatures in Naples.

I think the saddest day for me was when Nancy's closed. I remember talking to her and she said the reasons they were closing were due to health reasons and everything being online nowadays. There'snothing like going into a store and just being able to spend hours there.

2 hours ago, Island-Shack said:

Hello!! I live in Fort Myers - I'm just across the river from you! :wave: Been here since 1968.

Oh my goodness! We will have to get in touch with each other and meet. Sometimes I just feel so alone as the only miniaturist in this area.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019, 9:53:30, Honey412 said:

Oh my goodness! We will have to get in touch with each other and meet. Sometimes I just feel so alone as the only miniaturist in this area.

Me too! I wish we had dollhouse stores here - I don't even know where the closest is, do you? We rode up to Arcadia last weekend looking for dollhouse stuff in all the antique stores, found a few little things - no pun intended - but no dollhouse furniture, more like shadow box stuff that works in a dollhouse. We're going to LaBelle soon too because a few yrs ago I found an antique store with a dollhouse section, so hopefully she's still there.

• Like 1

Fortunately, on the east coast of Florida we still have The Toy Box in Cocoa Beach. For me it’s not as far as Ron’s in Orlando. It’s placed directly in the middle of a tourist street were the cruise ship buses plop the cruisers off for the day. I think it’s the only reason they stay in business. I’ve called him a few times to ship me needed items. He ships faster than miniature.com.

http://thetoyboxstore.com/

• Like 1

I was wondering if Nancy's had closed!  I had been there a number of years ago and the last time we were down visiting my son and DIL I thought I would look up the shop...couldn't find it.  Eventually the kids moved to Orlando only blocks away from Ron's!  I was in mini heaven!  :D  LOL  

From one Jackie to another Jacqui! :wave: Welcome!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019, 2:51:27, jbnmini said:

I was wondering if Nancy's had closed!  I had been there a number of years ago and the last time we were down visiting my son and DIL I thought I would look up the shop...couldn't find it.  Eventually the kids moved to Orlando only blocks away from Ron's!  I was in mini heaven!  :D  LOL  

From one Jackie to another Jacqui! :wave: Welcome!

Well Hi there Jackie... Love the name :cloud9:I've never been to Ron's but I keep telling myself, "some day" LOL

On 8/3/2019, 1:16:06, Sable said:

Fortunately, on the east coast of Florida we still have The Toy Box in Cocoa Beach. For me it’s not as far as Ron’s in Orlando. It’s placed directly in the middle of a tourist street were the cruise ship buses plop the cruisers off for the day. I think it’s the only reason they stay in business. I’ve called him a few times to ship me needed items. He ships faster than miniature.com.

http://thetoyboxstore.com/

Hi Sable. What are the prices like at The Toy Box? I never thought of ordering from them. I've seen miniatures.com go sky high in prices over the years.