DollhouseNewbie Says Hello and Seeks Advice

Hello everyone.

I joined this forum for ideas and advice. I have a 30-year-old Greenleaf Dollhouse (the Pierce) that I would like to renovate, rehab, redecorate for my niece. When I left for college my folks stored it in our basement game room and let anyone and everyone play with it. As such, almost all furniture is broken or missing. Wallpapers and floors are dingy (in spite of deep cleaning) and the windows and doors are totally jacked - e.g. holes poked through "glass". I hoped to find someone (a dollhouse expert or at least someone who had built one before) in my area (northeast Arkansas) to hire for the project, but I haven't found anyone yet. I suspect I might have to do the work myself and will need lots of advice along the way. I ordered another Dollhouse Kit to use to repair or replace damaged areas like windows and doors. What's next? 

Welcome. I would begin by removing all the window trim and wallpaper, give it a good sanding with a sponge sanding block and give the entire house a good spraying with Kilz Primer. This will give you a nice clean slate to work with. 

Welcome to the little family, Natalie. If I were you and had a new Pierce kit on its way I would just go ahead and build the new kit, starting over, rather than trying to refurbish and repair one in such a ragged out condition as you describe.

Welcome to the forum. The Pierce is one of my favorites and I hope to build one someday.

I echo Holly about building the new kit instead of using the parts to repair the older house. It might be more work in the long run to repair it. Too bad someone experienced couldn’t check out your house to evaluate how much work is involved even if the person is not interested in doing the work for you. Maybe there is a miniaturist group near you.