Questions re: Display Cases and Micro-glass

Kells

Does anyone know where to get small acrylic boxes? See pic below, the exact kind Reutter packages their smaller items in. Below that is a pic of an actual museum display. I mocked up a mini using a Reutter box on a column sized to fit and it was perfect! Those can't be proprietary to Reutter, they must be getting them from somewhere. Anyone know a supplier?

I'm working on my museum, which I blathered on about here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=43083

Oy, is this thing in sorrier shape than I remembered. Once I finished screaming after the spiders went scurrying, I started cleaning it up....

Also, has anyone worked with micro-glass? I had thought to do display cases with sliding doors. Planned out U-channels and etc., until I realized I could just leave the backs open and finish the wall behind them, then move the entire case when I needed to get into it.

Gimme a D! Gimme a U! Gimme an H! What does it spell? DUH!

See bottom pic for an idea of what I'm thinking of. I can build the frame, base, and etc., but I've never used micro-glass that wasn't already cut to fit, like in windows. It seems like it would be easy to score with a glass cutter and then snap but I've never done that?

Most of my stuff is (or rather WAS, at one time) just sitting on pedestals or on open shelves in some pretty shoddy Houseworks bookcases. I know I can do better, and I intend to!

Displays.jpg

9 minutes ago, KellyA said:

It seems like it would be easy to score with a glass cutter and then snap but I've never done that?

Not rocket science. A light touch, don't press so hard on the glass that you see chipping. A light score, then snap. You can do it.

As for the mini boxes, maybe ask in the Trading Post forum if anyone has empty ones they won't be using. You may get a few that way.

I'm loving this concept. Can't wait to see how it works out. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

I'm loving this concept. Can't wait to see how it works out. :) 

I am really excited about it! I think I'll just get some of that micro-glass and go for it.

I have a lot of reworking to do. It currently has too many different wall and floor finishes. I'm planning to re-do the walls, mouldings, and then finish the display cases all in the same color. Also, thinking of doing French limestone floors throughout (example below), in the same or very similar shade to the walls and trims.That sounds like it would all be too monochromatic, but there is plenty of color in the art and displayed items to make it interesting. The different finishes are very distracting from the exhibits.

I'm planning to put LED strip lighting behind the top trim of each display case to brighten them up and showcase the items within. The current bookcases are just so dark, nothing shows well in them. They were a really, really bad choice. Laziness, plain and simple.

French Limestone Tile.jpg

My hubs made me some plexi boxes for some of my dolls.  He used the score & snap method for cutting what he needed and used methylethylketone to stick the pieces together.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

My hubs made me some plexi boxes for some of my dolls.  He used the score & snap method for cutting what he needed and used methylethylketone to stick the pieces together.

Good to know! I'm definitely using glass in the wall display cases, but I may try the plexi method for larger free-standing displays, like the mini Chinese armor. A real museum would never have that stuff just standing in the middle of a room where people could bump into it or pick at the old leather and brasses.

I can't sew worth a darn but one idea I had for people who can make mini dresses would be a room devoted to historic clothing. I saw an exhibit at the Smithsonian of the inaugural ballgowns worn by the First Ladies. They were all in wall display cases similar to the example I posted above. I am not going to do that, but for someone who loves to recreate historic clothing? What an eye-catching display that would make!

Re: a large free-standing display, I can see that your plexi method would work perfectly for something like this. And funny to find this pic, I have some miniature Indian head-dresses not too dissimilar from the ones in this case.

large-display-case.jpg

16 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Look for clear acrylic containers, like for breath mints.

I will! I try to keep my eyes open for things that work in miniature. It's fun finding other uses for things. Not just for my project, but so many people have the most creative ideas for re-using things as minis! I found that the cap off my travel size hairspray was perfect for a low display pedestal. Clipping the brush part out of the cap of nail polish also worked perfectly for a taller one.

Pedestals.jpg

Don't overlook lipstick tops. I've used them as umbrella stands, but turned over, they could easily be a pedestal for a small item.

• Like 1

For the boxes, check out candy supplies. Like the ones for weddings and events. Also, bead and jewelry supplies.  I typed in "Small acrylic box" on Etsy and got some shops.  For the larger display cases, AC Moore used to carry box frames that were acrylic. They don't have them anymore but the art supply store, d*** Blick has them on their website and they aren't too expensive. You would just have to cut one more acrylic piece for the back. I am using one right now for a shop window and it is working very nicely. They come in different depths too. 

link to the frames: https://www.dickblick.com/products/mcs-clear-box-frames/?clickTracking=true&wmcp=pla&wmcid=items&wmckw=17007-1905&gclid=CjwKCAjw6vvoBRBtEiwAZq-T1fRSH-GKtwniBxQsBb7QWOxr6STAbpD2qpQlQ1LhKOUHBlnZsxzVNRoCKYwQAvD_BwE

17007-OA3ww-l.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smjsome said:

I was making aquariums, I found some acrylic boxes at the Container Store if you have one close by

4 hours ago, jessminiart said:

For the boxes, check out candy supplies. Like the ones for weddings and events.

I didn't think of the Container Store. I love it. I love it too much, so I and my credit cards try to avoid it. I've seen those candy containers at weddings, I hadn't even thought of those. I bet a party supply store would have them. I guess I know what I'm doing this weekend!

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread, you've no idea how much I appreciate that people take the time to offer their ideas. It is very helpful!

48 minutes ago, smjsome said:

You are welcome!  Let us know what you find

I will! I may not even have to build the wall display cases. I remembered that shadow boxes come in a variety of sizes, depths, and finishes. They even already have the glass fronts I was so concerned about doing! I can just see the Southwestern items in turquoise-colored wall displays like the one below. I can build walls to either side and above/below to give them a built-in look. Drill through to light them, change backing, etc.

Also came across displays for other collectibles. The sarcophagus would look good in the middle of the Egyptian room in a case for model cars. A display of "artifacts" instead of that baseball... So many fun choices.

Turquoise Shadow Box.jpg

Model Car Display Case.jpg

Glass Display on Wood Stand.jpg

There used to be a bottled water that had a clear dome protective cap, the kind of dome that covers clocks, small porcelain sculptures, and wax flowers.  Haven't look lately, so don't know if it is still around.

KathieB, I know exactly the lids you're talking about. I think I've also seen those on certain brands of hairspray or shampoo. I'll keep my eyes open for those.

So I went to the Container Store. I found some small acrylic boxes that would work *okay* but I wasn't crazy about them. Then I realized for a dollar or two more I could just buy some small Reutter items and get the boxes AND what's inside them, lol.

I didn't like the painted shadow boxes at Michael's, they were rounded and, I don't know, just looked kind of cheap. The black ones were perfect though. Nice crisp edges and only $15 for two!

https://www.michaels.com/fundamentals-black-11x14-shadowboxes-by-studio-decor/10500658.html?cm_mmc=PLASearch-_-google-_-MICH_Shopping_US_N_Frames_N_N_N_N_GOS-_-Frames&&cm_mmc=PLASearch-_-google-_-MICH_Shopping_US_N_Frames_N_N_N_N_GOS-_-Frames&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi6CtwtGj4wIV5B-tBh1Jywc2EAQYAyABEgIRcfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The display boxes and columns have raised another dilemma. They take up space. I knew they would, of course, I just hadn't realized how much they would crowd the rooms. I think they are absolutely necessary, however, so I'm still going with my ideas for those.

The problem is i may have to really tear this thing apart and completely re-work it. I kind of had to anyway, to a point, since some of the wiring has gone kaput. Like an idiot, I glued some of the flooring and mouldings right over them. Most of that already needed to be scraped off since I wanted to change them anyway.

As for the displays, I think I'm going to have to tear out walls and re-size these rooms. Instead of two 15-inch rooms, one 30-inch room would work better. That would make it easier to see everything. It can be done, I'm just going to have to figure out how to combine some exhibits. For instance, instead of separate little rooms for Egyptian and another for Greek, I'll just do an antiquities room for both. Or something.

Oh, and the rooms set up as historic room creations gotta go. Thankfully that stuff I just built on card and slid into place. Oh well, they'll make good room boxes. Someday.

The hubs & I are museum junkies and display cases DO eat space!  Cover your walls with relevant subject paintings and your display cases towards the middle of the room, with padded benches between so we can sit and groove on the paintings after we've killed our feet & backs drooling over the displays.