Damage to window inserts

Mary Mini

My granddaughter and I are building the Pierce.  I stepped away for a few minutes and returned to her cutting one of the windows into pieces.  What are my options for the acylic window that is now in several pieces?  If I put plain plastic in it won't match the rest of the windows.

Hi Mary. Welcome to the forum!  How neat that you and your granddaughter are working together on this magnificent house. One think you'll learn, especially if this is your first miniature project, is that no matter how bad an error may look, it is fixable. There is a lot of experience here to help you over the rough spots.

How old is your granddaughter? It sounds as if she will be contributing her own vision to the house. :) 

As for a damaged windowpane, any clear plastic will work as a replacement.  have used the clear sheets sold for overhead projectors, but packaging material is a cheaper, recyclable source. Blister packs, clear boxes from bakery, etc.  Use an undamaged windowpane as a template to make the replacement. It won't be a noticeable difference. 

• Like 1

Mary, before you cut out your replacement window, lay it over one of the other inserts and use a white Sharpie pen to trace the lines.  If it were me, I'd just replace all the inserts with plain ones, especially if the granddaughter will be playing with the house once it's built (in which case I'd be sorely tempted to leave the inserts out altogether).

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NellBell said:

Which window do you need . I'll start looking but I have some leftover from my pierce because I made some homemade stained glass windows.

I can look tomorrow.

It was the kitchen bay window.  The larger one

Thanks

When I was doing the gypsy wagon one of the window panes fell into some paint.  I washed it off and the black lines also washed off.  I didn't panic - just turned that one into the front door with a stained glass window!  I totally agree with Kathie - everything is fixable or hideable!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...