BTW, today is hubby's & mine anniversary!

shutterbugkc

Nine years! And to think his mother said she'd give it six years at the most. :lol:

I'll never let her live that down! :lol:

Hubby has always complained that after he went to all the trouble to order a specific groom's cake, he never did get a piece of it. So for this anniversary, I went back to the lady who made his cake and ordered a smaller version of it so he could get a piece at last! Maybe on our tenth anniversary, I'll order a smaller replica of the actual wedding cake. We did that whole, "save the top tier of the cake for you one year anniversary" thing. We wrapped it in saran-wrap, tinfoil, and put it in a tupperware container and threw it in the deep freeze. After a year, we each took a bite for good luck and then promptly chucked it in the trash. Yuck! :D Has anybody else attempted that tradition?

Happy Anniversary!!!!

We did the 1st anniversary thingy and when we thawed it out, it tasted Perfect!! Every year, I have a small cake made on our anniversry from the same bakery that says happy anniversary on it. One year I did not do it (was pregnant at the time) and hubby got one the week after our anniversary LOL.

Congratulations on year 9!

We did that whole, "save the top tier of the cake for you one year anniversary" thing. We wrapped it in saran-wrap, tinfoil, and put it in a tupperware container and threw it in the deep freeze. After a year, we each took a bite for good luck and then promptly chucked it in the trash.

Happy Anniversary!

We just passed our 34th.

We did the cake thing, after a year we defrosted it, Cathy didn't care for it, me on the other hand thought it was OK, but then again I rarely turn down food as evidenced by my girth :lol:

God Bless,

Michael

Belated happy anniversary, Karen, we just got back from a 2 1/2 month road trip and celebrated our 42nd anniversary touring George Dickel & Jack Daniels distilleries (no samples) on August 9 :blink:

This hubby (my second & BEST) didn't get a piece of his groom's cake either. :lol: The ladies at the reception kept picking up plates! We also did the one year cake thing (I did it on the first marriage but that cake didn't taste as good as the second marriage cake! :lol: )

I made this hubby a replica I think, in mini--we had so much regular wedding cake left, he took it in his lunch box to work for over two weeks! So did i--until I said I would never look at cake again! We still joke about it....

Congrats on your wedding! That would be a funny scene for a room box, two dolls on their anniversary bent over the freezer defrosting their top tiered wedding cake, w/ anniversary presents unwrapped and champagne glasses out....... :blink:

:blink: Tee Hee. There were several duplicate gifts we left in their boxes and used as gifts to other bridal showers. It took several years to get rid of them all! So in this roombox there could be several corningwear, crockpot, and toaster boxes. :lol:

I know where you're coming from! :blink: We married with two houses full of china, crystal, etc. leftover from my family & 1st marriage, and ditto on him. We asked for towels, tools, nothing extravagant, and still acquired more china! not complaining, but the house is small, and nowhere with all the minis to display it--I choose the minis over the excess china, crystal, etc.

One wedding scene I have always wanted to recreate is a picture of me cleaning up my own reception until 8pm--in overalls, gingham sneakers, and my headpiece from the wedding still in my hair. The ladies of the church had a giggle over that--the bride cleaning up after the wedding! :lol: We all get a kick out of that picture to this day!

Some of the best presents I received were re-gifted. I was reading on a msn home page that nowadays people should spend so much for a coworker($50-75 :o ) so much for a relative($75-$100! :o ) and so on. I thought in today's economy, that would buy ALOT of Bespaq! :lol: can you believe it?

I was reading on a msn home page that nowadays people should spend so much for a coworker($50-75  ) so much for a relative($75-$100!  ) and so on.

Yikes! By those standards, I'm afraid I'd be considered quite stingy! :blink:

BTW I think the bride in her headpiece and overalls would be a really cute roombox! :lol: But where is the Groom?

:lol: Imagine the groom, (changed into polo & jeans now) loading the trash from the reception into the back of the pickup to take to the dump! :blink: also, pigging out on the leftovers (of which there was alot) since he had to sneak out during the reception to eat--the photographer always wanted to take his picture whenever he ate! :lol: The cleanup party after the reception was more fun....

it would be a cute scene, with confetti everywhere, presents, a half eaten wedding cake, and streamers on the floor....

I was reading on a msn home page that nowadays people should spend so much for a coworker($50-75 ohmy.gif ) so much for a relative($75-$100! ohmy.gif ) and so on.

ACK! That's lousy etiquette advice. Run screaming.

PROPER etiquette is that you give a gift that the Happy Couple could reasonably be expected to like, within your budget. It is not the responsibility of the guests to cover the costs of the reception, meet a minimum budget expectation, or any nonsense like that.

Over time, we haven't really kept that many of our wedding gifts, but that has something to do with (a) the cat broke my very favorite of the crystal bowls and (:blink: we moved cross-country and down-sized from a 2100-square-foot house to an 800-sq-ft apartment. We do still have the cookie sheets and the particularly good potato peeler.

Funny the things you keep, and the things you don't. I remember my first marriage I had a great shower, and one lady filled a small laundry basket with all sorts of useful things, clothespins, a can opener, clamps, small things like a potato peeler, anything useful for a kitchen.

The etiquette on wedding gifts really was lousy--in my view, it's the thought that counts behind the gifts--not the net retail value.

I have a beautiful bride cake topper, where the groom is carrying the bride, it was on our wedding cake & my DH picked it out in a bakery near our home--I would love to do a scene with it someday--it's in near perfect scale.

Oh, Lisa, I can see him carrying her over the threshhold of a Sugarplum!

Nine years! And to think his mother said she'd give it six years at the most.

DMIL didn't give us two years; DSIL & DBIL have goon through as many spouses as I have fingers & DH & I are 8 years shy of 50!

Living well in the best revenge