Retro sink advice

Elsbeth

So I'm redoing my Pierce kitchen. I've googled for inspiration - but I am looking for specific photos of Pierce kitchens, so if you've been hiding yours and want to share, link me up!

I have an old wooden sink I am considering using since this kitchen was, in the world of dollhouse doll people,  "redone" in the 30s-40s-50s era to get away from the simpler victorian kitchen it used to be - so I'm liking this sink.

My question is:

What do you put in the gap under the sink? Should it be open like that or am I missing a piece? What would you do? Or if you grew up with one of these , what DID you do?

Thanks in advance for input.

large.IMG_9146.jpg.cefb48cb4890822733823

• Like 1

Yeah, a curtain or nothing. Also there should be a visible pipe in that area that leads from the drain to the wall (at a right angle), or straight from the drain to the floor.

I grew up with a similar sink.  You wouldn't necessarily see the drainpipe under the "apron" and some folks put a couple of small crates under there to use as shelves for the clean dish towels and dish rags, scourers and other small kitchen stuff they didn't want cluttering up the scarce drawer place.  We didn't have the drawers on either side in our house.  My mother stenciled some pieces of muslin to make a pair of curtains to put in front of that space, but then she liked how well they turned out and put them over the kitchen window instead.

Tea towels on a brass rod were common. The same things would have hung halfway up the window (cafe curtains) for a matching look. If 1920s or 30s, red or blue gingham check was commonly used. 1940s were red cherries (the most common) or strawberries, both on a white background. If 1950s, zig-zaggy or boomerang barkcloth print would be period appropriate. Love the sink btw.

Red Gingham Check.jpg

1940s Cherry Print.jpg

Boomerang Barkcloth.jpg

Hey! You have the sink to my stove and fridge! LOL

large.5990e36b4b79d_Picture002.jpg.333f0

I pulled the little knobs out and repainted both of these. One of these days I guess I have to sand them.

By the way, have you thought about putting a small shelf under the sink just above the floor and then stocking it with things like a tin bowl, a box of soap flakes, and other stuff? You could still put a little curtain there, but have it pulled back to see the items.