My next rehab project

amyole

My daughter used to babysit for a family who had a dollhouse they no longer wanted (their child grew up). I just picked it up. It is a Lilliput Apple Blossom. I just identified it. It has no interior decoration, needs some re shingling, missing staircases and windows will need replacing. Definitely can be salvaged and it was FREE!:cucumber: I will start a new album for it. 

• Like 3

It always amazes me that folks buy these houses for their children, go thru all of the hassle of putting it together and finishing the outside....but then peeter out and never finish the inside!  Having a finished interior is half of the fun of having a dollhouse!  Oh well....it makes it easier for us to rehab!  ;)

Maybe they leave the innards unfinished for the little ones to "decorate", figuring to fix it up nicely when they outgrow stickers and magic markers, only most of the houses never make it to the refinishing stage.

FAMOUS LAST WORDS: This is turning into a bigger project than I initially thought...

Originally, I planned to repaint the outside and thought I could just sand & paint over existing paint. Then, as I examined it, the paint seems "gummy" so I started to scrape and sand. Spent most of yesterday doing it and haven't gotten very far. I think all paint should be removed, then I will sand, prime and paint. My question is what to use to remove the paint? I'm guessing it is latex (because I don't think acrylic would be this tough to remove and the house is so big, probably the builder used house paint). The paint was either not very glossy and/or some of the gloss has worn off.

47 minutes ago, amyole said:

My question is what to use to remove the paint? I'm guessing it is latex 

I Googled "how to  strip latex paint" and got a lot of suggestions ranging from non-toxic paint stripper to a heat gun. The point being, you have options. 

The heat gun is da bomb, both for removing latex paint and hot glue.  There is a gooey product that removes paint, but I'd wear latex or nitrile gloves whilst working with it.