Question on procedure/steps...

KatFord

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here it goes... I need a suggestion from the more experienced crafters. I created this stone wall out of builder foam. My first attempt and I love how it turned out. I want to add actual grout to the lines, which you can see in the lower right corner of the closeup. Again, I'm happy with the look except for 2 things... it dulls the wear and tear I took so much time creating and doing it after the final wash leaves it looking really fresh. I thought about adding before I add the primer... but then I've primed it and the distressing doesn't work as well. Any other thoughts on proper order or am I at a point where I have to pick one or the other... cracks and distress or grout? 

Thanks for your thoughts. 

Kim 

IMG_0271.jpeg

IMG_0272.jpeg

IMG_0273.jpeg

Edited by KatFord
  • Like 1

That looks great! In my experience, you need to grout and then add distressing. I assume a couple of things here. When you say distressing, you mean like doing a simple aging wash, like diluted grays or siennas? You're not adding any more texturing or cracks, are you?

I also assume you've already sealed it? It has a bit of a sheen, so I think you have? If so, you can grout now. You're not liking it because the grout is currently too white. An aging wash will fix that, and it will blend in with your stones a lot better. Can you try a wash on that lower right corner to see?

Some people paint the grout lines in instead of actually grouting. That does work, but I really like how the grout blends stone and brick together. It adds depth, IMHO. Good example is in your last picture, the stone to the left in the second row up from the bottom. The grout has rounded off that stone's upper right edge. I love that! It makes it look a bit crumbled and not perfectly square. When you do an age wash, I'd bet all of that white grout blends in very well.

Lastly, you may want to try using a gray-tinted grout. It won't really matter much in the finished product after you age-wash it, but it might look less shockingly new while you're working on it and help you visualize the final result as you go along.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply, Kelly. I agree with your thoughts on the grout. I love the look it gives to the wall. This is a test wall so I could play with different colors and techniques t find out what I liked. I should have been more specific about the distressing... I meant all the cracks  and texture I added with foil, a knife and a stylus. I love all those cracks and rough spots, but when I grout it fills them in. 

• Like 1

Just now, KatFord said:

Thank you for the reply, Kelly. I agree with your thoughts on the grout. I love the look it gives to the wall. This is a test wall so I could play with different colors and techniques t find out what I liked. I should have been more specific about the distressing... I meant all the cracks  and texture I added with foil, a knife and a stylus. I love all those cracks and rough spots, but when I grout it fills them in. 

I understood that to be your issue with the grouting. Looking at that last photo, I have to say I think the grouting makes all those lovely cracks stand out. Others may have different thoughts, but I think the grouting brings those out spectacularly well. It will blend in when you do a wash. The white is just too much of a contrast, which is why I think you don't like it. I am fairly confident that the grouting and age-wash won't make those cracks disappear; it's going to make them stand out and look natural.

• Like 1

Thank you so much, Kelly! I'm going to do a bigger section and the add more wash over it and see what happens! I'll also try adding a bit of gray to the grout to tone it down a bit. Thanks for your help! 

Kim 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KatFord said:

Thank you so much, Kelly! I'm going to do a bigger section and the add more wash over it and see what happens! I'll also try adding a bit of gray to the grout to tone it down a bit. Thanks for your help! 

Kim 

Please post pictures when you're finished. I've done brick and stone with the egg carton method, and also carving/etching it all into joint compound, but I've never done the builder's foam method. It already looks great, but I am excited to see how it turns out!

• Like 1

Had to come back after this thought occurred to me. If you tint the grout, use a very pale gray, don't make it dark. I realized I simply said "gray" with no qualifiers. The grout will take an age wash much differently than your sealed stone, which is why it won't just blend everything together or make those cracks disappear. If the grout tinting or age wash are very dark, however, I don't think all your texturing would stand out as well.

• Like 1

I was wondering if a syringe might work a bit better; Also, after you smooth it into place with your finger, maybe do what tile setters do and take a damp rag to wipe over the excess.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KatFord said:

Hi, Holly. I'm using joint compound and using my finger to push it into the grout lines. 

Joint compound is not the best choice. You should use actual grout. It stays in the cracks and grooves but the excess wipes off easily, which is what you want. I should have asked what you were using. Tile grout is cheap, you may want to pick some up. It will work a lot better for the result you want.

• Like 1

Many of the grout products have sand in them which would make a mess and the sand particles are really not to scale. I’d stick with tinted drywall compound and use a damp folded flat paper towel to clean the surface once applied. You might have to go over it with the damp towel as many as 3 or more times. 

• Like 2

The joint compound cleaned off really easy with baby wipes, actually. 

Kelly, I'm not opposed to using tile grout, if it comes already mixed. I don't do well with the kind that has to be mixed.  LOL

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I was wondering if a syringe might work a bit better; Also, after you smooth it into place with your finger, maybe do what tile setters do and take a damp rag to wipe over the excess.

I did wipe it off, but the small cracks and dents also get filled. I did some more today and took an Exacto knife into the places I didn't want o have it... it turned out pretty cool. And some of the paint wiped off, giving the stones an even more realistic look at the same time it tinted the grout with a light tan color. 

Heres a photo of the progress. As you can see, since I hadn't sealed it yet the wash is wiping off, I love what it's doing to the "stones". 

IMG_0274.jpeg

• Like 2