I'm recreating this photo

KatFord

Jolly Old Santa Clause was my favorite childhood book, and for YEARS I've had in my head to recreate the different scenes from the book for a huge Christmas display. Some will be houses, some will be storefronts and some will be ones I hope to create from start to finish. The first scene is the one below of Mrs. Clause's kitchen. I believe I've figured out most of what I'm going to do, but I'm baffled by the column there to Santa's left. I'll be using a combination of foam core and builder's foam for the fireplace, the archways, and the floor, but I can't think of what to use to make that column.

The upstairs will be converted to an entire floor rather than a loft and I'm going to use that as 2 rooms, a cookie boxing room, and pantry. 

Any suggestions for what to use as the column? 

IMG_0275.jpeg

Edited by KatFord

Would a dowel work inside paper clay?  You don't have to bake paper clay.   I'm thinking you might want some additional structural support for the column.  Also, I don't really know what the size should be, but would it be possible to take part of an old baluster or chair spindle to make it?

Not knowing how tall this column should be, I'd start with a cardboard paper towel or toilet paper tube and split it down the side so I could shape it to size, then glue and tape it. I'd check to see if I had a bowl or something like that to glue to the top of it. Shallow wooden blocks would form the base & top. I know I've seen some things that could form that rounded base section, like bangles or something maybe? Once it's all glued together, I'd do a couple of thinnish coats of paperclay over the whole thing.

• Like 1

I knew I came to the right place! Thank you! I think I'm going to try the wedding cake columns and paper clay around it. If I can't find the right size I'll try the toilet paper roll... that is an excellent idea! I should be able to find wood or foam core cut to size for the square stones. 

I'm so excited to work on this part! 

Thank you! 

Kim

• Like 1

I just remembered you need to search for wedding cake PILLARS if you're going to look for them on-line. You'll get more results with that term. I always think of them as columns in the architectural sense, but in regard to wedding cakes they're called pillars. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out! And to answer an earlier question, paperclay is a breeze to work with. I order mine from Michael's. They usually have 40% off.

https://www.michaels.com/creative-paperclay-modeling-material/10229451.html

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KellyA said:

I just remembered you need to search for wedding cake PILLARS if you're going to look for them on-line. You'll get more results with that term. I always think of them as columns in the architectural sense, but in regard to wedding cakes they're called pillars. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out! And to answer an earlier question, paperclay is a breeze to work with. I order mine from Michael's. They usually have 40% off.

https://www.michaels.com/creative-paperclay-modeling-material/10229451.html

Thanks, Kelly. 

While researching paper clay I came across Rik Pierce, I was familiar with his work many years ago, but since had forgotten. All his stucco work appears to be done with paper clay. That may be what I use for the stone on the steps and up the walls as well. 

Rik Pierce uses paper clay for stucco, stonework and shingles.  Our own Tracy Topps (Minis on the Edge) has studied with him for years, if you want to check out some of our own paper clay talent.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sable said:

I found the cake pillars at Michael’s were too short so I cut off the top and bottom and added them to wood dowels which I sanded to narrow the upper section.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=115380

Sable, that is gorgeous! I love it! Thanks for the tip

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019, 9:51:03, Kells said:

Kim, did you decide on your columns? I happened to come across this on DHE's website while looking for something else. Inexpensive and seems like it could work. So you don't have to convert from metric, it's just a hair under 7" tall and a bit less than 1" in diameter.

http://www.dollshouse.com/full-pillar

Thanks, Kells! This looks like it would be perfect. I was going to use the Michaels cake pillars, but every time I go into the store they are sold out. I've been on vacation for the last 10 days and work conference for 5 so I haven't had much time to work on this. I"ll look at this closer.