Axminster or Wilton loom carpeting

Kells

Does anyone know of some material that would resemble Axminster or Wilton loom carpeting in miniature? Not area rugs but something that could be used for historic wall-to-wall carpeting. I'm posting examples below.

I've spent hours in Joanne's Fabrics looking at every option and come up empty-handed. I've seen the technique of using double-sided tape to piece carpeting together from scarves and such. Sllk, satin, and cotton would be too shiny. Also too thin, I think, even with some sort of backing.

All upholstery and tapestry type of fabrics I've looked at have too large a pattern. Some of the original carpet designs did have large patterns but I'm not finding anything in full size that would remotely look to scale in miniature. I'm going to need to get the carpet decided upon so I can paint accordingly. Help?

Gallier House Dining Room.jpg

Lincoln Parlor.jpg

Hermann-Grima Library.jpg

I'm double-taping these together onto a posterboard template. They're 4" x 5" and printed on flocked paper. Not ideal but they look pretty good in a mock-up. That's one room down anyway but like I said, I am at a loss for the others.

Neoclassical.jpg

Have you looked at the cotton print fabrics on Miniature Luxuries?  I'm not sure whether cotton would work.  In half-scale, it can look downright woolly, but I'm not sure about 1:12.  They do have some small floral prints that might work.  Alternatively, could you print your own on velvet paper?

• Like 1

Just now, Mid-life madness said:

Look at wallpaper or scrapbook paper prints and maybe you could print it on fabric. Or take a screen shot of a print and duplicate the pattern and scale with your Photoshop program.

I could piece together wallpaper easily enough and get proper scale, borders, etc. I just don't know how to get a texture to them. I fear with my limited skills, it would end up looking like I just wallpapered the floors. Which is exactly what I would have done, lol. I don't think my printer has the ability to print on felt or some other fabric.

11 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

Have you looked at the cotton print fabrics on Miniature Luxuries?  I'm not sure whether cotton would work.  In half-scale, it can look downright woolly, but I'm not sure about 1:12.  They do have some small floral prints that might work.  Alternatively, could you print your own on velvet paper?

Wow, I've never seen that site. No velvets or wools I can use but I ordered these two cotton prints. I'll let you know how they work out. If they're too chintz shiny, I'll throw 'em into my next ten loads of laundry. At this point I'm willing to try just about anything that has a glimmer of a chance of working.

C24-3.jpg

C5-23.jpg

• Like 1

For texture I read this trick to use with magazine ads for rugs; use one layer of facial tissue, smear your cotton with clear-drying white glue and press the tissue layer over the top and when the glue dries the print should show through.  I would think some of the fat quarters would have suitable prints in scale.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019, 7:38:31, havanaholly said:

For texture I read this trick to use with magazine ads for rugs; use one layer of facial tissue, smear your cotton with clear-drying white glue and press the tissue layer over the top and when the glue dries the print should show through.

I had half a sheet of blue floral dollhouse wallpaper that would make a pretty good rug. I thought, "I wonder if Mod Podge would work for this technique?"

IT DOESN'T.

I'll try the glue another time.