Nectar for a hummingbird feeder

KathyN

I am making hummingbird feeders for a swap. Anyone ever have success? Glass stain didn’t work in my prototype, so now I am going to try an essential oil tinted red with oil-based candy coloring. I would then  glue a tiny shank button to the top of the vial. Then I am planning to glue a bright yellow small button and a wire hanger over that.  Anyone have a better suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Is the feeder 1:12 or 1:1?  If it's 1:12, Gallery Glass paint in a light tan ought to do the trick if you're simulating a syrup/ nectar mix; otherwise clear for sugar water.

Mod Podge do a clear 3D  - dimensional magic I think it's called.  You could use that with a touch of food colouring - I made the tiny orange jar on the Apothecary counter with this.

Thank you all,

Havanaholly, yes it is 1:12. KathieB, I'm banking on the fact that hungry hummers aren't going to be able to get anything out of the feeder anyway so no harm will be done!  ShareB, I picked up some Dimensional Magic a couple months ago b/c I thought the effect would be cool on something! I'll try that and the gallery glass too.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KathyN said:

KathieB, I'm banking on the fact that hungry hummers aren't going to be able to get anything out of the feeder anyway so no harm will be done!  

:)  I was teasing, but you're right. Look forward to seeing the finished product. 

8 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Considering the size of 1:1 hummers, I guess you could flock a small holeless bead for 1:12...

Considering the size of 1:1 hummers, I'd figure 1:12 hummers to be smaller than the eye can see and moving so fast that any sighting would be impossible. :D 

4 hours ago, Shareb said:

We have some amazing native birds in NZ but unfortunately not humming birds!  Would love to see one in real life!

They look like large, deformed bees from more than a few feet.  One of our favorite campgrounds used to be just outside Cedar Key, FL, that was full of mostly snowbirds, and one of them had several hummer feeding stations hung all around their camper.  In the afternoon a mighty buzzing could be heard as flocks of hummers would descend on those feeders and fight for space!

We always had broad-billed hummingbirds in Arizona. They are common from Phoenix down into Mexico. It seems like almost everyone I knew then had hummingbird feeders. The ones we saw all the time were shockingly bright green, purple, red, and blue. Their iridescence made them like little rainbow stars shooting around one's patio.

Broad-billed Hummingbird.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

They look like large, deformed bees from more than a few feet.  One of our favorite campgrounds used to be just outside Cedar Key, FL, that was full of mostly snowbirds, and one of them had several hummer feeding stations hung all around their camper.  In the afternoon a mighty buzzing could be heard as flocks of hummers would descend on those feeders and fight for space!

Wow!  They're that small????  Hard to imagine!  I remember being in a small town in Iowa.  The town put on a dinner for us - it was during a heatwave getting up to 119'F!  The kids all ran around catching fireflies to show me once they realised I'd never seen them.