Spray paint over a shiny finish

fov

I'm going to spray paint over a piece of cheap furniture that currently has a shiny finish. I haven't done this before. Do I need to remove the finish or do anything to it before I spray, to make the paint stick?

Depends on the kind of paint you are spraying. Can you do a test on the bottom? If it doesn't stick, try a thin coal of gesso as primer. That stuff will stick any kind of paint to any surface. :D 

Thanks for the input. There isn't really a bottom to spray it on (it's this chair: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-12-Dollhouse-miniature-furniture-computer-chair-for-dollshouse-accessories-S/312692358941). I could try it on the surface under the cushion but that had adhesive that I removed with Goo Gone, so it might not be the same anymore as the rest of the finish.

Maybe I'll use the gesso preemptively, just to be safe.

• Like 1

I have found that flat gray Rustoleum aerosol primer will stick to any surface; I used it on the Chrysnbon cookware I then proceeded to make aged bluestone and white enamelware using my acrylic paints.

Thanks for the tips. This one was wood, not plastic, but I'll file that away for future reference. :)

Here's the finished chair. (I used Sharpie to make the casters black, after taking the photo.) It's probably good that I used the Gesso because when I was working on the cushions, the paint on the thin edge of the backrest (which might not have gotten any Gesso) started rubbing off.

More pics and details here: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=14731

snm147.jpg

• Like 2