Sound effects for dollhouses?

Kells

Model railroads have crossing bells, diesel engine sounds, and etc., so I know it's possible. Has anyone here ever added sound effects to a dollhouse?

Recently a long-planned lighthouse project came up. Don't hold your breath for that one, it'll be a long time coming. One of the things I want to do on that (if I ever get to it!) is add sound effects. Sea gulls, waves, a buoy bell. But mostly a foghorn. I figured a long reach funnel with a flexible end would work. Paint it Golden Gate Bridge orange, mount it sideways on brackets on the roof, I think it would make a pretty believable foghorn in appearance.

I played this for the hubs and told him I was going to put it in the bedroom and use it for an alarm clock. He knows I'd do it too, so his look of horror was quite satisfying. I just need to figure out how to get it to work on a dollhouse. Someday.

Be sure to turn your volume all the way up before you click this. J/K! Don't do that.

• Like 1

The foghorn would be awesome! I purchased an already-built dollhouse that was equipped with some but not all of the parts for a doorbell. Haven't researched replacement parts, so I don't know what it sounds like.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KathieB said:

The foghorn would be awesome! I purchased an already-built dollhouse that was equipped with some but not all of the parts for a doorbell. Haven't researched replacement parts, so I don't know what it sounds like.

RIGHT? I would love it. Until I regretted it after my nephews had been sounding it off for hours on end.

I won't go into detail on that project. Have two going already and need to remain focused! Basically it's a Victorian house with a tower. I figure why not replace the sloped roof of the tower with walls (to keep the height) and stick a lighthouse on top? I've had the Harbour Lights fresnel lens for ages and all the components to finish the whole thing off. It would be similar to these:

gallery_4679_5847_11513.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Those would work. "You boys have fun!" while I slip those in. Should I buy two pair, get one for the hubs . . . naaaahhh.

Figuring out how to put a foghorn on a dollhouse counts as a life! In some universe. Probably.

12 minutes ago, Kells said:

Figuring out how to put a foghorn on a dollhouse counts as a life! In some universe. Probably.

Yep! My world, and welcome to it!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Fun idea. Here is a product for model railroad with such sounds:

https://ittproducts.com/GL.html

If you scroll down, there are a few for lighthouses, ocean, etc, under ‘Animals/nature sounds’ and ‘special nature series’ and lots of other fun sounds.

I didn't even look at train sound effects, even though I mentioned them, because I just assumed they'd all be train-related. That is very cool. Thanks, I bookmarked those links!

6 hours ago, Shareb said:

Wow!  That sound evokes so many emotions!  It would be so cool to add something like that for the right 'atmosphere'!!

It does that to me too even though I grew up in Colorado, which is about as far from any ocean as one can get.

• Like 1