Priming the bare wood

KatFord

What do you use to prime the wood of the kits? I've seen a lot of people that just use white paint... does that work? Would Modpodge work for priming? What's best to reduce warping? 

Thanks, 

Kim 

Edited by KatFord

To reduce warping, paint both sides. 

In addition to priming for application of some other decorative treatment (paint, wallpaper, etc), the coat on the raw wood should act as a sealer to keep the acids that occur naturally in the wood from later discoloring the surface. I use gesso. Others have successfully used flat interior house paint.

I'm not sure about using Modgepodge. The matte finish version may work okay, but I'd stay away from the glossy version; it may be harder to get the decorative layer to stick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cathy C said:

I use flat white interior paint.  As Kathy said, paint both sides at once to prevent warping.  I use little paint triangles purchased from the home improvement store to sit the pieces on as they dry.  

I wrote paint triangles, but they are actually called paint pyramids.

• Like 1

I also use flat white interior latex house paint for priming.  I usually have at least the shell, if not the carcase of the house together and prime as I go (masking the floors) so both sides of the wood get primed together.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! Great pointers. I didn't think the ModPodge was a good choice but wasn't sure. I'll look for the paint pyramids. I'll try a couple of option and see which works the best.

Thanks again,

Kim