A quick thought about signing your work

Kells

I hope all you talented miniaturists sign your creations or else 20, 30, 50 years from now someone will be wondering, "Who could have made this?"

I'm up with insomnia finding there is no signature on my mom's childhood home. I remembered the man I thought must have built it died in the 90s so he couldn't have done. I had my suspicions previously verified on a house I've taken to calling the Not da Marcus because of a misleading plaque someone put on it. I emptied that one out to turn it over only to find it's not signed either! The builders of both of these are lost to posterity.

I shrug and half-heartedly reassure myself that if they didn't want to identify their craftsmanship, why should I struggle to do it for them? I don't know, it just makes me a bit sad. I'm too sentimental for my own good and will probably feel really stupid about this in the morning!

Please tell me you sign your creations?

• Like 4

The world is going to wonder someday who this talented 'Carrie' person was....:shy:at least that what I tell myself when I sign things! Bahhahahha. The buyers probably will say something like, "there's that 'Carrie' crap again".

• Like 5

I have purchased some pieces by other artists that someone (the original buyer, not the artist) taped a note on the bottom describing what it was, the artist who made it and when/where they (the buyer) bought it. One of the notes said "After a wonderful time in Provence." 

I LOVE those notes and the context it gives my little pieces.

• Like 2

Imagine if every manufacturer burned their name and the name of the house into their kits, we wouldn't always be asking Kelly (the original one, not me, lol) to look in her stash of old magazines to tell us who made things!

Carrie, please, future Ebay listings will include the phrase A Genuine Carrie Original! as a selling point.

I've wood-burnered my name into the bottom of a couple houses. One thing I do is use heavy packing tape to secure a list of paint colors onto the bottom. Even if discontinued, paint formulas are often available for years. Might come in handy for some future owner. I did that in the few RL houses we've renovated. With those it's mostly for myself! "Did I use Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace on the walls or the mouldings? Eggshell, satin or semi-gloss.....?"

I like that about sharing memories. Now I wish I'd have jotted down notes for some of my Southwestern pieces. I have some pretty special memories of meeting Margaret Tafoya back in the day and visits to various pueblos. If you're ever speeding along I-40 between Albuquerque and Flagstaff, be sure to take the short side trip to visit Acoma, the Sky City.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kells said:

I've wood-burnered my name into the bottom of a couple houses. One thing I do is use heavy packing tape to secure a list of paint colors onto the bottom. Even if discontinued, paint formulas are often available for years. Might come in handy for some future owner. I did that in the few RL houses we've renovated.

My RL house came with that list  too!- it was great! Saved me a lot of trouble when I had to make repairs and needed to paint up spots.

I sign, date and note my city and state on houses that I build and sell. I usually note the title of the house too. For smaller items I usually sign with my initials and the year.

I really like seeing who made pieces I buy, so I appreciate seeing those pieces signed. :D 

I haven't but will start. Have one going to an auction in Oct. I am including the building instructions with the house. Didn't really think about it before. More like "made by the old lady in the midwest"!!

I hate “me too” postings but this is a really helpful thread. I got a vintage Duracraft Linfield that someone else got at a garage sale (and didn’t know its value) but we have no idea of who assembled it in the first place. I’m re-furbishing it for the daughter of a good friend but she’ll only have part of the story. How I wish we knew what loving hands assembled it for their child.

I sign the etsy minis I can - some don't have any way to do so. But, I can certainly sign my houses. I've just never done it thus far.  Next time I clean and rearrange, I'll go back and do that. :D

I've never thought of it!  I guess I haven't thought anything was good enough to be signed - although I have a few pieces I could do now that I think about it.  I like the idea of the name of the kit, manufacturer etc and the paint colours.  Very good idea!  @Mid-life madness  - Looking forward to finding a 'Carrie Original' of my own at some point in the future! :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...