Color Choices Real and Mini Houses

madtex1967

Every time I do a dollhouse build, I let the house speak to me on choosing its exterior colors.  I did the same with our full-size house.  When we moved it, the house was tired looking and needed to be refreshed and revived.  I did consult a professional to get the palate correct for the year of the house - 1870.  He came up with about 40 different combinations.  This one jumped out at us, and I knew it was the one the house wanted.  

Isn't it funny house our real size houses can speak to us as well as our mini ones?

Along with the new colors, we also fixed the porch foundation.  No more solid stucco, but correct piers and lattice panels.  The first-floor shutters were also hung correctly (they bi-fold back, so when closed they do cover each window completely).  Also, so many of the architectural details were hidden.  The brackets above the two front upstairs windows, the crown molding in the eaves and on the porch fascia.  Plus, the trim in the house fascia board.

It's been a long haul, but it is finally finished!

Before:

6220 Before.jpg

After:

6220 After.jpg

• Like 5

Oh, Matt ... absolutely spot on. Somehow I always thought those skinny shutters were pure decoration. Great to know that they are functional. By-fold. Who'd a thunk it?

• Like 2

I’ve been in search of a manufacturer to make hurricane shutters for me like these but in a board and batten style. The county just north of me allows them but Broward and Miami Dade are considered “High Wind Velocity” areas so they won’t permit them. Maybe I’ll move my house 8 miles up north so I can get my shutters. Like it really makes a difference if a Category 4 hurricane hits my area, Boca Raton and Palm Beach county will get creamed too and I’m sure these shutters would do just fine.

12 hours ago, Sable said:

I’ve been in search of a manufacturer to make hurricane shutters for me like these but in a board and batten style. The county just north of me allows them but Broward and Miami Dade are considered “High Wind Velocity” areas so they won’t permit them. Maybe I’ll move my house 8 miles up north so I can get my shutters. Like it really makes a difference if a Category 4 hurricane hits my area, Boca Raton and Palm Beach county will get creamed too and I’m sure these shutters would do just fine.

We had to have some of our shutters rebuild and new ones made that were missing. Its not cheap. All are of Spanish cypress to resist rot. But as you, it probably won't matter if we get a direct hit from a major storm.

This house came with fake shutters only on the front window, which had departed along with the former residents.  Unlike the other houses around us built the exact same way we replaced those with steel bahama shutters and put them on all the windows, so if we get a Cat4 or stronger storm the house may blow away, but the shutters will still be here.

• Like 2

Oh Matt it's perfect!  The color choice is just wonderful and I love that all of the little details are back in focus.  And who'd have imagined bi-fold shutters!? Never realized there was such a thing!  I always love when someone takes the effort to restore old houses to their original glory!!  

On 8/17/2019, 11:22:37, madtex1967 said:

We had to have some of our shutters rebuild and new ones made that were missing. Its not cheap. All are of Spanish cypress to resist rot. But as you, it probably won't matter if we get a direct hit from a major storm.

Hooray! I found a local vendor to install Catagory 5 working aluminum board and batten shutters. Not cheap but so much easier than putting up steel storm panels. Plus they will give my house nice character, just like yours. Hopefully they will be installed in time for this hurricane season. 

Congratulations!  We have only had to close our Bahama shutters once since we got them, because we were going on a road trip, and we really didn't need to.  But we will for anything stronger than Cat4.