Brick walls from builder foam

KatFord

Hello! Thanks for all the wonderful tips you've all been kind enough to share. 

I have another one for you. Which of these do you like? The 2nd one has been painted and textured with gray paint mixed with sand. Love how that turned out. I then sealed it and tried to add grout. You can see that in the bottom left of the 1st photo. But when I wipe it off I lose some of the lovely texture. I love the texture but I love the look of the grout. 

IMG_0443.thumb.jpeg.7d89ae247cdba70e12e4Opinions? 

IMG_0442.thumb.jpeg.99501fbfc37ab8e7c7f2

The grout makes the wall marvelously realistic. I can see why you would want to use it. I hope you find a way to do the grout but not sacrifice the texture.

Is it possible to use a hypodermic plunger (like used to give liquid medicine to animals and small children) to carefully (and sparingly) place a line of grout between the bricks, thus eliminating the need for rubbing?

Or can you spray the painted surface with a couple of coats of a matte finish sealer to help glue the sand to the surface making it less likely to rub off when cleaning up the grout?

Or what if you add some white glue to the gray paint used for the undercoat? That may adhere the sand more firmly than paint alone.

I see some experimentation in your future. :) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KathieB said:

The grout makes the wall marvelously realistic. I can see why you would want to use it. I hope you find a way to do the grout but not sacrifice the texture.

Is it possible to use a hypodermic plunger (like used to give liquid medicine to animals and small children) to carefully (and sparingly) place a line of grout between the bricks, thus eliminating the need for rubbing?

Or can you spray the painted surface with a couple of coats of a matte finish sealer to help glue the sand to the surface making it less likely to rub off when cleaning up the grout?

Or what if you add some white glue to the gray paint used for the undercoat? That may adhere the sand more firmly than paint alone.

I see some experimentation in your future. :) 

I do have equal parts gray paint and glue along with the sand and I sprayed a sealer, so I was surprised when it rubbed off. It has been fun and experimenting is definitely in my future! Good thing this some fun stuff! 

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Is it possible to grout and then add the texture just to the brick surfaces?

This what I was thinking. I have another piece carved and prepped. I was going to try something different with it, but I think I'm going to try the grout first and see how that looks.