Real bricks

amyole

On Monday, I attended a teachers' workshop that was held in a renovated, old brick mill building in Manchester, NH. When I was a child, we would drive by these old mills, some still in operation, on our way to the lakes region. They were somewhat dilapidated looking back then. I have been in these buildings on a couple of occasions, but I think the last time I was there was before I began my open love affair with dh's. I found myself staring at the marvelous brickwork on the walls. I thought about the numerous masons that built these old buildings, the fact that they are still standing, that they have been preserved and re-purposed, and the stories of the people that have been in these buildings. And I wished that my dh bricks could look half as good as these RL bricks. :drool2:

• Like 1

I agree! Those old brick buildings are beautiful. But I do find it enjoyable to try and come up with some as similar as possible. What do you use for your bricks? I'm always on the hunt for new ideas. 

Kim 

2 hours ago, KatFord said:

I agree! Those old brick buildings are beautiful. But I do find it enjoyable to try and come up with some as similar as possible. What do you use for your bricks? I'm always on the hunt for new ideas. 

Kim 

I have been using paper clay to make my bricks.I bought the pasta cutter that someone here (I don't remember who it was, sorry) recommended and it has helped but my bricks still don't match my "vision" so I'll keep practicing making them. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, amyole said:

I have been using paper clay to make my bricks.I bought the pasta cutter that someone here (I don't remember who it was, sorry) recommended and it has helped but my bricks still don't match my "vision" so I'll keep practicing making them. 

I'm going to try the paper clay for stonework. I use builders foam for my bricks. Still experimenting with my technique, but I posted a couple of pictures here last night of brick I'm working on for a wall fireplace. 

On one of our trips out to Fort Morgan I measured the bricks used in its construction and when I reduced those dimensions by 12 they measured roughly one pica by three picas (I have a printer's ruler).  I use sandpaper to make my bricks (from Beryl Armstrong's book How To Make Your Dolls; House Special) and paint the surface I'll use them on a grout color.  Here is how I did the bricks for the pub:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=entry&id=248

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019, 8:40:39, amyole said:

It was our wonderful Carrie! Here's the link for everyone:

http://livingtheminiaturelife.blogspot.com/2019/05/paper-clay-bricks-quick-and-easy.html