installing lights in the rgt houses

asherah

Hi Amanda,

I have done a couple RGT kits and both had walls/floors/ceilings comprised of both MDF (3/8") and plywood (1/4"). I found that with tapewire lighting systems, the brads AND eyelets loosened out of the MDF over time. You can imagine what chaos this caused after the house was finished, papered and decorated. On the second house, I used roundwire and it is much more reliable. To run the wiring, I employed cutting channels in the floors of the second stories for the first floor ceilings, running the lamps down through floors and under the house's foundation, and centrally located hubs for where the plug strip would be. Here's a link to a post that you might find helpful, and there are later posts in the construction of the New Orleans that might give you some help and ideas for your RGT kit.

http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/2017/07/the-lights-are-on-but-nobodys-home.html

Good luck!

Jodi

• Like 2

oh goodness. I think I will have to watch some videos heh. I was planning to use round wire as I hate the tape wire lol.   I understand some of this.. like running the wire through the channels but not sure how to make the channels and I guess I will have to plan where the wires are going so they meet together right? They have to all go in the power bar thing? 

4 hours ago, asherah said:

...not sure how to make the channels...

Once you know where you want your wiring, using a straight edge and pencil draw where you want your wiring and lay the wire along the line and mark the other side of the wire and use the straight edge to draw the second parallel line.  With a sharp knife and your steel straight edge cut along each line at least the depth of the wire thickness.  I like the little wood carving tool with a "V" shaped blade to remove the material between the cuts; this is the method I use for installing shelves in mini furniture.

• Like 1

Thanks Holly!

Yes Amanda - I use a big box knife and a steel ruler to cut two lines about 1/8" apart and about 1/16" deep from where the wires will come through to where the wires will exit. Then I use a steel flat blade screwdriver that is also 1/8" wide to chip out the channel between the two cuts. Once the wires are run I keep them in the channels with masking tape.

IMG_5406.JPG

When your wires exit the house they will plug into a power strip:

IMG_1710.JPG

This post shows more of the process and here's a photo of doing the channels:

http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/2017/05/very-little-progress.html

IMG_5116.JPG

The most important part id to have a plan. Once you figure out which lights go where and where the wires will lead to, you have a road map to follow. Best of luck! The first one is always the hardest but you'll do great!

• Like 1

ok this is great information. So you have all your wires running towards that one hole? What's under it? is it not a room? is it running through a post or something? Also I love the way you hid the power strip

• 8 months later...

Hi Asherah-

I have all RGT houses and they are all electrified. I use electrical tape on all connections and sometimes I will solder the connections; depends on what the fixture is and how easily accessible it is to change a bulb. The hollow brass eyelets are really good for holding the wiring. But, you will have to use the pilot hole punch to get it in there. 

Everyone has given great advice and there are tons of how-to's on youtube and the likes.

Good luck and we can't wait to see your work!! :-) 

Bre