hello from philadelphia

7folks

My name is ben and my wife is tanya.  We have been browsing the greenleaf forums for about a month and have found a tremendous amount of info.  You guys are amazing.  Anyway, she and I will be visiting regularly for help with some recently acquired dollhouses.   We got a free one today and need some help identifying it.  This one, we hope, will be sone for the holiday season to display in our living room. Pics will follow once we reach the necessary post count.  Talk to you soon and thanks in advance for your help

00R0R_iiKXOrRYsen_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

I'd have to see more pictures but it looks much like the Dutch Gambrel I am currently renovating (link below). With much help from another Kelly (rodentraiser), we've come to the conclusion it was probably manufactured by Batrie. Mine was also a freebie but in far worse shape and less complete than yours, dangit!

I am also interested in seeing more pictures because that facade and front porch are removable, yes? I posted about having trouble with that on a different house less than an hour ago, lol. This post:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=43203#comment-687498

I'd love to see in more detail how yours is built.

Hey kells... this isnt in good shape at all.  The front of the house sits a half inch lower than everything else, and it needs a ton of work that I dont truly know how to do.  My wife watches videos and stuff and had some tools but it will be a major undertaking... thanksnso much for the reply. Here are a few more pics...

The owner got it for xmas in 1979 and added the addition later. It has copper strips for wiring and a few outlets.  We have amassed 8 dollhouses in the last month and some tools.  The wood is thick on this one. It's well built but I dont know where to start.  If you think this is what you have kells, ask for specific pics and we will post them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 7folks said:

Yeah, the whole facade is removable.  Gravity will remove mine if I move it a little bit lol. 

Lol, I hear that. Get the magnets like the kind used to hold kitchen cabinet doors closed. They are perfect for this purpose.

That slanted piece at the front eave line is exactly like mine. The wood on mine is very thick too. Mine has milled-in siding but yours appears to have applied clapboard siding strips? They're about 3" high and I can just make out the seams on the side. Maybe Batrie made a smooth-sided kit at one time.

Mine is a full gambrel roof but yours is done exactly like I've been thinking of re-doing mine. Basically the front half of the roof to make it taller, with a flat enclosed rear side. I posted about that here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=43138&do=findComment&comment=687254

Are your window and door openings standard-sized? The windows should be 2 9/16" wide by 5 1/16" high to accommodate standard components. Mine sure weren't! They fell short by about 1/8" in width and height. I'll warn you, the only way i found to widen them was with a strong metal rasp. A sanding block and dremel grinder didn't make a dent in them. Rasping is a LOT of work but a heck of a lot easier than building windows and doors from scratch.

Ok, rasping?  Lol.  I'm saving all of this for my wife.  I looked at your pics and although the houses are similar,  I see some differences.  She will measure the windows and reply I'm sure.  There are no windows on the left side (using the porch as the front) of my house.  There is also a bay window on the first floor.  Thanks so much for your help.  I will use my laptop to post more pics for you since i dont know how to resize them on my phone. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 7folks said:

The front of the house sits a half inch lower than everything else

Easy fix. Get some stripwood to use as a foundation board to bring it up to the right height. Mine doesn't even have a foundation. The addition I'm putting on mine comes with a 1 1/4" high foundation. It's really thin though so I'm probably not going to use it. I get 1 1/12" high by 3/4" thick wood from Manchester Woodworks. I don't think they keep it in stock but if you ask them to make you some, they will. They did it for me.

I've not used foundations provided, and removed foundations already attached more times than I can remember. I replaced all of them with the wood I mentioned. It works like a charm and makes everything sturdy and at the same height. I'd recommend keeping the additions unattached (if they already are unattached) for ease of moving. You can easily cut the foundation boards with a hand saw if you don't have a jigsaw. Mitering the corners may be more "professional" but I've found that task unnecessary. I just butt them up against each other, glue, then nail or screw.

5 minutes ago, 7folks said:

Ok, rasping?  Lol.  I'm saving all of this for my wife.  I looked at your pics and although the houses are similar,  I see some differences.  She will measure the windows and reply I'm sure.  There are no windows on the left side (using the porch as the front) of my house.  There is also a bay window on the first floor.  Thanks so much for your help.  I will use my laptop to post more pics for you since i dont know how to resize them on my phone. 

Yeah, I think someone modified that house at some point. Mine doesn't have windows on one side either. The original kit comes open to the rear. Someone made a full rear enclosure and hinged the front, which is exactly what I'm doing with mine. They opted to put a bay on the rear side. That appears homemade to me (the rear side, not the bay window). I doubt the house originally came fully enclosed.

It's a house with a lot of potential, IMO. It could be a real charmer. And before I forget since I immediately pounced onto the house... WELCOME!! You will find a lot of help on this forum when it comes to decorating the interior, finishing the exterior, etc., etc..

Your help is greatly appreciated.  I cant wait for her to see your posts.  I have driven as far as 4hrs in one direction to pick up dollhouses.  just yesterday I got 2 cast iron potbelly stoves and rocking chairs (salt and pepper shakers) that I later read about on here.  I cant wait to start the gallery and get more help.  We might put this one aside for a bit and work on a westville, I think that needs way less work. 

17 minutes ago, 7folks said:

We might put this one aside for a bit and work on a westville, I think that needs way less work. 

You're in luck there. This is a Greenleaf forum and that is a Greenleaf house. I know several members have built that kit and would probably be happy to share their tips and tricks. When you start that one, you may want to start a thread in the forum for Greenleaf houses at this link. Be sure to put the name of the house in your subject line.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=forums&id=27

Also do a search for Westville. You'll get a lot of results. Some may answer your questions. Others may give you and your wife inspiration on finishing it. Speaking of inspiration, here is NellBell's album for her Westville.

Welcome to the little family, Ben and Tanya.

There is a limit to the number of photos you can post from sources outside the Gallery.  There is no limit to the number of photos you can post in your albums.

There are building blogs for some of the Greenleaf houses, found when you click on "Blogs" at the top of the page; here is the one for the Westville:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=view&id=10

• 1 month later...

Greetings also from Philadelphia. That looks like a fun project house and it was free to boot! I can't help with the house ID but whoever built it appears to have done a fair amount of bashing or customizing (the back windows, especially the small "stained glass" ones, the staircases, the smaller addition). Does the front part detach entirely or is it hinged at the side? Is the front porch attached or does it separate from the front wall? It all looks structurally sound with just cosmetic things to work on.

• 3 weeks later...