51 Prestonwood

quirkycorkyminis

So I bought this dollhouse at an estate sale today & I want to fix it up! I’m pretty sure it’s homemade, but wondering if anyone knows anything about it or has an advice on where to start. I think it was stored outside at one point because the cardboard interior walls are stinky & moldy. I know that will have to be replaced, but how? Also wondering what to use to strip the paint. It’s hard lacquer-like paint. Gah feeling overwhelmed, but super excited. I know my son will love this for many years if I can do it the right way. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Slfr77wT1DR2AxTmgYts5OHQhdr6sczY

Edited by quirkycorkyminis

It’s adorable! I would start with removing all the cardboard and wallpaper. Use painters tape and paper to cover the floors and windows on both sides. Then spray the entire house with Kilz Primer. I wouldn’t strip it just prime it very well. Then you have an odor free clean slate to work with. I like the roof. You may want to protect that too before spraying.

I see nasty mold.  Wear a breathing mask like the ones you get at the pharmacy to wear when you have a cold or flu and scrub that stuff away with a bleach solution, which may also help remove the wallpaper.  A metal paint scraper works wonderfully  well for removing stubborn yucky stuff from the walls.  You can use the old cardboard walls to make templates for new walls from the plywood, as Sable suggests.  The house has good bones.

Looking at the kitchen (img_5539) -- I have that same counter/sink! It was in my first dollhouse that I had as a kid in the early 80s, and then moved into my second dollhouse (below). I thought it was handmade but I guess not.

old_attic2.jpg