Coventry Cottage/Spanish Ranch

16 posts in this topic

I finally did it! I ordered two Coventry Cottage kits and I'm going to make the Spanish Ranch from the Doll Houses to Dream Houses Book 2. I have been threatening to do it for ages and have a bunch of homeless Southwest miniatures that will finally have a place to live! 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay! Another interesting project to follow. Southwest isn't in my wheelhouse to build, but I appreciate the clean lines and colorful accents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have book two, can you do a scan of how it will look? I love Southwestern style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait to follow along. I love the Spanish Ranch from the Doll Houses to Dream Houses Book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the style, so I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I love that house in that book. I can't wait till you finish yours!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't wait either! It has shipped, I checked or at least it's in UPS possession. My desktop crashed so no way to scan just yet but I attached a couple pictures from the book with my phone.

20190826_210838.jpg

20190826_210700.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oooooo I can't wait to see this! Spanish Ranch, Colonial, Revival is such an underserved design area in this hobby!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FurMama said:

I can't wait either! It has shipped, I checked or at least it's in UPS possession. My desktop crashed so no way to scan just yet but I attached a couple pictures from the book with my phone.

The photos are fine, a scan isn't needed. I've never seen that before, I like it! Are you going to do clay barrel tiles for the roof?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kells said:

The photos are fine, a scan isn't needed. I've never seen that before, I like it! Are you going to do clay barrel tiles for the roof?

Yes, that is definitely the look I'm going for! Not sure about the weight of real ones on that roof or how to make for that matter but that is what I want. The vinyl sheets don't look real to me at least not in the pictures in the catalogs. I have a house behind me with a real-life tile roof I can look at for reference so that will help. Any other tips would be appreciated! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melissa (of darrellandmelissa, who are no longer active) made a suggestion I plan to use when I barrel tile my Lily/ Tuscan villa.  You know what a fan I am of corrugated cardboard for tin roofs:

medium.56d775116af06_comeonin.jpg.b0e724

Melissa suggested after I peel off the top layer of cardboard to prime and paint the rippled corrugation terra cotta and then peel off the bottom layer and paint that, and then cut across the ripples and layer them on the roof and give a final coat of paint to color the cut edges.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FurMama said:

Yes, that is definitely the look I'm going for! Not sure about the weight of real ones on that roof or how to make for that matter but that is what I want. The vinyl sheets don't look real to me at least not in the pictures in the catalogs. I have a house behind me with a real-life tile roof I can look at for reference so that will help. Any other tips would be appreciated! 

the PVC sheets...let me get the actual name - Polystyrene Sheets,here's a link to some http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/dollhouses-miniatures-furniture-kits/subfloors-c-265_408/dollhouse-scale-model-polystyrene-sub-floor-p-7848  These can be curved with heat and you can make barrel tiles...its also paintable and really authentic looking in my opinion, I believe this is the same Material Chris Toledo used for his California Spanish Revival that is simply amazing. Anyway, it's easy to curve with heat and has many uses.  Might be an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

peel off the top layer of cardboard to prime and paint the rippled corrugation terra cotta and then peel off the bottom layer and paint that, and then cut across the ripples and layer them on the roof and give a final coat of paint to color the cut edges.

Yes! I did an aluminum/cardboard roof on my Bingo Hall but never thought about peeling off underneath! The Bingo Hall was filthy and collapsed (hide glued) after my outside hobby house flooded and I threw the roof away. Thanks for the great reminder and transformation tip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

... Polystyrene Sheets,here's a link to some http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/dollhouses-miniatures-furniture-kits/subfloors-c-265_408/dollhouse-scale-model-polystyrene-sub-floor-p-7848  These can be curved with heat and you can make barrel tiles... same Material Chris Toledo used for his California Spanish...

Definitely worth looking into! Thanks!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FurMama said:

Definitely worth looking into! Thanks!

I like the idea because they can certainly be to scale! And they will look authentic! Can’t wait to see its progress 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just checked tracking on the package, it is at a UPS facility about an hour away. I should have it tomorrow :cheer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now