Coventry Cottage/Spanish Ranch

FurMama

I finally did it! I ordered two Coventry Cottage kits and I'm going to make the Spanish Ranch from the Doll Houses to Dream Houses Book 2. I have been threatening to do it for ages and have a bunch of homeless Southwest miniatures that will finally have a place to live! 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, FurMama said:

I can't wait either! It has shipped, I checked or at least it's in UPS possession. My desktop crashed so no way to scan just yet but I attached a couple pictures from the book with my phone.

The photos are fine, a scan isn't needed. I've never seen that before, I like it! Are you going to do clay barrel tiles for the roof?

8 hours ago, Kells said:

The photos are fine, a scan isn't needed. I've never seen that before, I like it! Are you going to do clay barrel tiles for the roof?

Yes, that is definitely the look I'm going for! Not sure about the weight of real ones on that roof or how to make for that matter but that is what I want. The vinyl sheets don't look real to me at least not in the pictures in the catalogs. I have a house behind me with a real-life tile roof I can look at for reference so that will help. Any other tips would be appreciated! 

Melissa (of darrellandmelissa, who are no longer active) made a suggestion I plan to use when I barrel tile my Lily/ Tuscan villa.  You know what a fan I am of corrugated cardboard for tin roofs:

medium.56d775116af06_comeonin.jpg.b0e724

Melissa suggested after I peel off the top layer of cardboard to prime and paint the rippled corrugation terra cotta and then peel off the bottom layer and paint that, and then cut across the ripples and layer them on the roof and give a final coat of paint to color the cut edges.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FurMama said:

Yes, that is definitely the look I'm going for! Not sure about the weight of real ones on that roof or how to make for that matter but that is what I want. The vinyl sheets don't look real to me at least not in the pictures in the catalogs. I have a house behind me with a real-life tile roof I can look at for reference so that will help. Any other tips would be appreciated! 

the PVC sheets...let me get the actual name - Polystyrene Sheets,here's a link to some http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/dollhouses-miniatures-furniture-kits/subfloors-c-265_408/dollhouse-scale-model-polystyrene-sub-floor-p-7848  These can be curved with heat and you can make barrel tiles...its also paintable and really authentic looking in my opinion, I believe this is the same Material Chris Toledo used for his California Spanish Revival that is simply amazing. Anyway, it's easy to curve with heat and has many uses.  Might be an option.

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

peel off the top layer of cardboard to prime and paint the rippled corrugation terra cotta and then peel off the bottom layer and paint that, and then cut across the ripples and layer them on the roof and give a final coat of paint to color the cut edges.

Yes! I did an aluminum/cardboard roof on my Bingo Hall but never thought about peeling off underneath! The Bingo Hall was filthy and collapsed (hide glued) after my outside hobby house flooded and I threw the roof away. Thanks for the great reminder and transformation tip!

8 hours ago, Qubanqtee said:

... Polystyrene Sheets,here's a link to some http://www.thelittledollhousecompany.com/dollhouses-miniatures-furniture-kits/subfloors-c-265_408/dollhouse-scale-model-polystyrene-sub-floor-p-7848  These can be curved with heat and you can make barrel tiles... same Material Chris Toledo used for his California Spanish...

Definitely worth looking into! Thanks!

• Like 1