Fun little topic: Who uses a Cricut in their creations?

KatFord

Just a fun topic. I am also a scrapbooker and card maker so I have tons of papers and stuff to use in my miniature making. I just discovered the use of my Cricut! I am using it to cut the oven doors for my medieval times type brick fireplace. I was so excited to find this worked! Then I made a template to make the heart thumbprint cookies that are in Mrs. Claus' kitchen. I can make the clay cookies and have a heart-shaped template to dab the perfect heart on top.

Now, I'm on the hunt for more things to make with my Cricut. Does anyone else use this? What do you do with it?

Kim 

I have one, but I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to wait for the Cricut Maker with its knife blade. I find my Explore One useful, but it would be even more so if I could cut thin basswood and acrylic. I use the Explore One to cut cardboard mockups, book inserts, stencils, etc.

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/watson-mill-books

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/he-s-just-misunderstood

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, otterine said:

I have one, but I wish I could go back in time and tell myself to wait for the Cricut Maker with its knife blade. I find my Explore One useful, but it would be even more so if I could cut thin basswood and acrylic. I use the Explore One to cut cardboard mockups, book inserts, stencils, etc.

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/watson-mill-books

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/he-s-just-misunderstood

I've had my Explore 2 ( think that's the one I have) for about two years, but I'm thinking about asking for the Maker for Christmas. I would love to be able to cut wood and other thicker material now that I know I can use it with this hobby as well. 

• Like 1

I have had my Maker for only a couple months. I have cut out a couple of wood patterns from Kris Compass' tutorials, and I have cut out a couple extra door and window parts for my San Fran 555. I love it!

John

• Like 1

I have the Expression. After reading these posts I might just have to get the Maker the next time HSN has its Today's Special with FlexPay! I scrapbook and make cards too. I've used my Cuttlebug and a brick embossing folder to make the background inside of a fireplace but that's about it. Time to learn something new! 

• Like 1

I've been using my Cricut Explore Air since about the end of 2016 to make all kinds of things for miniature builds. The funnest part is hacking the machine and making it do things with materials it's not supposed to be able to! :drool:

If you're curious, here's a link to a search of my blog for "Cricut". I'm happy to share files and tips.

http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/search?q=cricut

8 hours ago, My Miniature Madness said:

I've been using my Cricut Explore Air since about the end of 2016 to make all kinds of things for miniature builds. The funnest part is hacking the machine and making it do things with materials it's not supposed to be able to! :drool:

If you're curious, here's a link to a search of my blog for "Cricut". I'm happy to share files and tips.

http://my-miniaturemadness.blogspot.com/search?q=cricut

This is fabulous! Thank you! So you do all this with your Explore Air? You don't have the Maker?  I love your green cabinets for the store! 

12 hours ago, FurMama said:

I have the Expression. After reading these posts I might just have to get the Maker the next time HSN has its Today's Special with FlexPay! I scrapbook and make cards too. I've used my Cuttlebug and a brick embossing folder to make the background inside of a fireplace but that's about it. Time to learn something new! 

Lisa, you should check that link about Jenn/Elsbeth link. So much inspiration! 

36 minutes ago, KatFord said:

This is fabulous! Thank you! So you do all this with your Explore Air? You don't have the Maker?  I love your green cabinets for the store! 

I do make all the stuff with my Explore Air and don't have the Maker yet. The Maker came out about a year after I got my Explore Air. I have a few blogland friends who had repeated issues with it, so decided to wait for it's upgrade to be released before I bought it to give them a chance to work out all of the bugs. In that time, I learned how to make mine work for what I needed it to do. I experimented a lot and watched endless YouTube videos. I may still get the Maker, but I'm not in a hurry. A laser cutter is higher on my wish list, but the good ones are still $7K!!! I was invited to join the FB group about a month ago, and the creativity there is inspiring! Plus, everyone shares their .svg files so that's really nice. The most beneficial things about using the Cricut in minis is the ability to make clean, precision cuts and make your own kits where everything fits together perfectly. Chipboard and cardboard once gesso'ed is as good as basswood imo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, PapaJKK said:

I have had my Maker for only a couple months. I have cut out a couple of wood patterns from Kris Compass' tutorials, and I have cut out a couple extra door and window parts for my San Fran 555. I love it!

John

John you might really enjoy seeing what they are doing over in the FB group.

• Like 1

I just bought the maker when Joanns had it on sale. I haven't even unboxed it yet since I'm in the process of moving. Now, I can't wait. It never occurred to me to use it for miniatures!!  I do other crafts as well, so I got the engraving tip. I'll have to pick up this wood cutting tip yall mention. I bet it would be really good for cutting out decorative legs and other pieces for furniture! This has me excited. I'm so glad I checked out this forum. To be honest. I havent even unboxed my dollhouse kit yet either. I came across my childhood dollhouse furniture while I was packing to move. Seeing it made me really want to do a house again. So, I bought the Beacon Hill! It's a beautiful house, but now I am thinking it might be too small. Lol. I think this is how this addiction starts..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slyfxx said:

...I think this is how this addiction starts..

And?  Best to wait until after y'all have moved to start.  The last time we moved included a half-rebuilt Pierce I was rebuilding after removing all the hot glue and it got destroyed going aver a rough railroad crossing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

And?  Best to wait until after y'all have moved to start.  The last time we moved included a half-rebuilt Pierce I was rebuilding after removing all the hot glue and it got destroyed going aver a rough railroad crossing.

I had the same thing happen. I started the Aster Cottage then we moved. I'd had it for about 15 years before I even started it, the wood was very brittle and when we moved this last time it shattered in several places. Luckily, I hadn't gotten very far. But I just bought a new Aster a few weeks ago and I'm going to start fresh.