Window Seat

jaxenro

I threatened to share my furniture experiments with the group here so this is my first one. I work slow so don't expect a lot of updates quickly

What I am trying is a simplified version of a Duncan Phyfe inspired window seat in American Empire style. It is mostly based on the couch below with the overall style from the window seat in the Met but simplified. This is my inspiration:

Window Seat Series 01-01.jpg

Very pretty and the grain is in scale, but I hadn't heard of calling a day-bed or sofa a window seat before; the window seat in my parents' house was a built-in box under our dining room window with a lid that lifted for storage after the seat cushions were removed.

46 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Very pretty and the grain is in scale, but I hadn't heard of calling a day-bed or sofa a window seat before; the window seat in my parents' house was a built-in box under our dining room window with a lid that lifted for storage after the seat cushions were removed.

Maybe the difference is a built-in window seat vs. a piece of furniture that is meant to be placed in front of any window?

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Same here. I've always thought of a window seat as a built-in box under the window with cushions. 

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Basswood finishes nicely and the grain is in scale.

Walnut and Walnut Burl Veneer. The main thing I am testing on this is how to do the veneer on such a piece. Making a lot of mistakes but it is a learning experience

Next one will be mahogany them I am going to try one of the couches

For the frame I was able to laminate the burl to the rails prior to assembly. On the leg corner posts I veneered them in place and am now trimming and shaping the tops. Burl veneer can be a bit of a pain as it chips easily. Then I will add a second layer around the base of the legs before adding the feet. This will (hopefully) replicate the look of the base of the couch above. 

I made the frame rails too thick (3/32) I thought a scale 1 1/8" would be good but it is a bit overpowering. On the next one I will use 1/16" mahogany for the frame. I have some homemade alkanet oil (alkanet root powder dissolved in linseed oil) which is an old English formula for walnut gun stocks that should really make the burl grain pop out. 

As I said it is rough more to see how the veneer would work laminating in place and work out the details of the base of the leg and feet. I think with thinner frame rails and laminating the tops of the rails (I didn't with this one) it will work

5d6e31f08360d_WindowSeatSeries02-01.jpg.

Some more pics the leg tops are mostly shaped. I think the 1/16 is too thick and will go thinner next time. Aldo some chipping of the veneer when sanding but I have some ideas for that

i have one of the leg bases done and a couple more started. I figured out I need to do the four sides in a specific order so they look correct I messed the first one up but that’s what this test is for

3F4A00CB-CA9E-4055-84DD-AE18858B3961.jpeg

0DEC93D7-4944-46CF-B55E-7EDA6B29BD16.jpeg

Not really happy with any of this one but it is letting me work out the details on how to build one. I would just toss it but I want to finish it to work out the balance of the building kinks

Waiting on some varnish to finish the painting figured I would finish the base of the legs. Some chipping of the burl and I am not happy with how thick the wood is but I finished the base and added a quick coat of linseed oil alkanet root mixture. Need to finish sanding then work out the details of the feet. And the cushion

Window Seat 01.jpg

Window Seat 02.jpg

Window Seat 03.jpg

What kind of look are you going for?  Something similar to your inspiration photo or . . . ?  General advice on fabric:  Natural fabrics (silk and cotton) are easier to work with than polyester.  Men's neckties are a good source if you are looking for small prints (check your local Salvation Army or Goodwill).  Other good sources of miniature fabrics:  Dragonfly International and Miniature Luxuries.  

If it were me I would invest in some pieces of 1/8' and 1/16" basswood, since you're going to laminate burl veneer over it anyway.  As for upholstery, the old wide polyester neckties make excellent upholstery for miniature furniture; I use them all the time.  This is one I used on a 1:24 Knowle settee:

knowle settee.JPG

and this pair of 1:12 armchairs:

first residents, Rose & Reggie.jpg

and this is the upholstered window seat I made in my Magnolia:

gallery_8_988_73647.jpg

I didn't forget this one. I had some Damaar varnish for oil painting which I figured since it was compatible with the alkanet root oil I used I would try as a varnish. Days later it still wouldn't dry just gummed up and sat there. I have been slowly removing it with sanding, drying, and turpentine and it is mostly stripped off. It is too gummy to sand and when the surface dries sanding just reveals more gummy. And I didn't put it on thick at all. Anyway I have it about 90% stripped off and will continue on soon