Another closing

FurMama

Happily Ever After in Virginia I think. I have only shopped there online for a house kit but was pleased with the service. I got an email today stating they are closing their brick-and-mortar by year end but will continue their online store. They also carried children's and gift items. 

So sad, I never got to their new store after they moved, but the DIL who lives in Burke took me there to their former location.  Shannon, what's going on is the internet; an awful lot of brick & mortar stores are quitting because the property owners can get the same or higher rents from other businesses.  At least they'll still be online.

That’s part of the problem....the internet is hurting all business, we hear it from customers more &more.... “they can get it cheaper on line”     yes they can, they don’t pay rent- taxes -license fees -insurance an more......it sad.....

4 minutes ago, Mineejv said:

That’s part of the problem....the internet is hurting all business, we hear it from customers more &more.... “they can get it cheaper on line”     yes they can, they don’t pay rent- taxes -license fees -insurance ...

...wages, workmans' comp, inventory...  The costs of doing business are killing business.

3 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

you’ve gotta be in it to win it.

Or as one of my favorite house flippers says, "You've got to risk it to get the biscuit." 

It's not all about rising rents. I think some closings are also triggered as owners age and are unable to sell or are unwilling to go through the hassle of selling or have no one in the family interested in taking it over. Someone like this probably would not be interested in switching to or continuing on-line sales, which still require holding large inventories, paperwork, taxes, trekking to the post office, and time, time, and more time keeping the website fresh with photos, descriptions, etc.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...