A Very Brady Renovation

fov

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/a-very-brady-renovation

HGTV has been advertising the heck out of this show, but I didn't realize until seeing the first episode what it actually is. They're renovating the house that appears as the exterior view of the Brady house, but rather than just updating the house, they're making it look like the interior of the Brady house looked. The interior was shot on a sound stage and the original house has a totally different layout, so part of this involves building additions and moving walls. Then they're replicating all of the interior details. It reminds me of what we do when we model dollhouses or roomboxes off of a specific scene, but full-sized.

I was a big Brady fan as a kid (and well into high school!) so I had fun watching this. The first episode aired today and they do the exterior (which had been updated somewhat since the show aired) and the front entryway with the iconic staircase. (The only thing I thought didn't look right is that the grout in the floor bricks is too white.) Later they're going to add an addition because the original house doesn't have a second story, but they have to do it without changing the view from the front.

• Like 2

I wasn't a Brady Bunch fan and really have somewhat annoyed by all of the commercials, but hadn't looked at it as a real life bash. I like the Texas Flip show, in which one or two houses are moved and flipped in each episode. May have to check out the Brady bash. 

As a Brady Bunch fan I watched it and enjoyed it very much.  So, glad to see they are replicating every single piece of furniture and decorating item.  Kind of fun to see how they find the items after 50 years.  I like the decorators they have on too.  I noticed the big ones, Chip and Joanna are not part of the decorator cast.  Guess they were way too busy launching their own channel.

• Like 1

As a latch key kid, I couldn't wait to watch it after school. Now if I happen to catch an episode, I have to watch it.....The show speaks to a certain generation, and now they are giving us one more memory. I didn't have control of the remote last night, but I look forward to watching it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, 1martinimomma said:

I noticed the big ones, Chip and Joanna are not part of the decorator cast.  Guess they were way too busy launching their own channel.

More likely the reason is because the Brady Bunch house didn't have rusty farm implements hung on white shiplap walls. That one-trick pony pair couldn't have contributed much to this house.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SchmoozyQ said:

More likely the reason is because the Brady Bunch house didn't have rusty farm implements hung on white shiplap walls. That one-trick pony pair couldn't have contributed much to this house.

Amen! Although I must confess I'm contemplating doing the shiplap thing in my Nobury (RGT New Orleans hooked to Newbury) house but by the time I finally get around to building it something else will be in style.

41 minutes ago, SchmoozyQ said:

For a one trick pony they sure have a huge following .... 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, chapchap73 said:

I've never really understood the need for a "designer". I put things in my house because I like them, not because of what someone else thinks is nice.

We're all designers. My theory is that if it feels right, it is right. But some folks don't have the self confidence to see it through on their own. Those are the folks who keep the designers in business. :)  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KathieB said:

We're all designers. My theory is that if it feels right, it is right. But some folks don't have the self confidence to see it through on their own. Those are the folks who keep the designers in business. :)  

and designers are great for getting amazing ideas - you don't have to take the whole shebang but often you can glean a few ideas and run with it and come up with something you love and make your home unique.

• Like 3

I used a professional for a very large remodel. I told them what I wanted and they helped to get it to paper and then permits. I used them for some of the actual decorating on half my house. I did find that I had my own ideas and that was that. One thing that was great I did get to see a lot more products by going to their vendors with them. I wouldn't have the amazing grey marble island I have if it wasn't for them. I actually became friends with both the mother and daughter and still see them. It was a really good experience for me. I had never designed a whole house and was defiantly overwhelmed. I had already done 3 house remodels but on a smaller scale. 

• Like 1

I totally agree @NellBell my sister used a designer for her current home for certain rooms and therefore had access to pieces of furniture that weren’t in the regular marketplace - with the help of the designer she was able to accomplish getting the pieces she wanted and marrying the design of the rooms together - it isn’t for everybody but it does have its advantages !

My Mums best friend is a designer so she helped me shop for my house after we renovated. It was great to have someone to bounce ideas off and help with arranging accessories... plus trade discount!:clap:

She also helped me with the exterior paint colours.. I knew what I basically wanted but she knew a lot more about paint than I did.. and so many shades of the same colour!.. it can be overwhelming.. and getting your house painted over here is so expensive (Like 40 grand) I didnt want to get it wrong! 

I love Chip & Joanna, but they do have a specific style.. I can’t imagine them on the Brady house project. 

@Mid-life madness I used to watch after school too.. I loved that show! I hope they play it over here. 

On 9/9/2019, 9:30:50, fov said:

It reminds me of what we do when we model dollhouses or roomboxes off of a specific scene, but full-sized.

I read that the house doesn't have an attic so they're recreating Greg's attic bedroom in the basement. They're using a fake window with a view to the treehouse in the backyard, I think? Discussions about false windows for dollhouses and room boxes have come up a few times on this forum so yes, I agree, it is VERY dollhouse-like!

I think the attic is going on the first floor in what was the original house's rec room. They couldn't build in an attic because it would change the front view of the house. I love the idea of a false window with treehouse view, that makes it like a lifesized roombox.

• Like 1