Books II

jaxenro

Or two books.

As the first couple of books I made were test's, and snatched up by my wife anyway, I am going to make a matched set of Flaxman's Illustrations of the Iliad and the Odyssey. Thought it might be fun to do a follow along. 

For starters I had the pages below printed the covers on card stock, the marbled end papers and pages on cotton resume paper. The blank page goes on the back of the illustrated page (the lines didn't line up as expected will try something different next time)

So step one was to have the attached printed. My printer is a bit of a plodder so I had them done at the local Best Buy for me

Covers Style 33 Flaxman.jpg

End_Papers_Style_33_Flaxman.jpg

Flaxman Page 32.jpg

Flaxman Page 31.jpg

3 hours ago, Miniatures in Marble said:

...nothing worse than reading a book with jumbled pages...

There was my med-surg nursing textbook that had one whole signature duplicated in place of the one that was supposed to be there, and by the time the publisher had sent me a correct copy we had finished the units in the missing part (thank goodness the library had an intact copy I could use!).

Clamp the book pages between two metal bars and sand the protruding edge even and smooth. Then apply pad/book compound to the spine. Sand the other three sides even as well. I use the cheap nail buffers that are 10 for a dollar and have a coarse and fine side work well for this

Cut out the covers. I use a marker (red in this case) to run around the edge where the white is and I do a little inside to cover as well. The marbled end paper will cover 99.5% of this anyway but I don't want any white to show. Usually the two outside pages get a little glue dribble but again the marble end papers covers it all up

I then use the gloss medium and a fine brush to add some highlights to the spine and cover to add some texture to the raised portions. when it dries i will give the covers two coats of satin varnish inside and out

Book 04.jpg

Book 05.jpg

Book 06.jpg

Fold the covers to fit - I round the spine a little over a small dowell also

glue the spine, and end papers, to the inside of the cover. A bit of wax paper slipped in each end between the end paper and the first page keeps the book from getting glued shut. Make sure the book is aligned inside the cover correctly nothing worse than glueing it in upside down and backwards. Then put it in the bookcase and work on some better ones

Now I have Flaxman's illustrations of the Iliad and the Odyssey in a two volume set I can read at night :cucumber: I am working on slipcases for the books if they turn out at all presentable I will post them

Book 08.jpg

Book 09.jpg

Book 10.jpg