Another mini newbie

MJ Dixon

Hello everyone. My name is MJ, and I have been working on my very first dollhouse. I always wanted one as a child. My little sister got 2, I never did. So at 40+ years old I bought the biggest kit i could find locally and got to work.

I'm happy to find you guys. No one understands or appreciates the complexity or details I've put into this thing already. I think it will be nice to talk to like minded people .

• Like 2

Hi Missy, and welcome to the forum. We've all watched eyes glaze over as we chat about our hobby to non-practitioners. You'll find attentive listeners with load of experience to share here. :) 

Thanks for the welcome. I got the Real Good Toys Victorian Painted Lady. I'm not too happy with the kit. The way this was milled, things don't fit the way they should. But here's the twist, I'm doing an Addams Family inspired build. So tiny gaps probably add to the effect. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Missy.  Next time choose a Greenleaf kit (the Garfield is the biggest kit they make, but you can always bash parts of others onto it); there still might be gaps, but with thinner plywood they are a whole lot easier to seal up.  Dollhouses are like potato chips or peanuts.

12 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Missy.  Next time choose a Greenleaf kit (the Garfield is the biggest kit they make, but you can always bash parts of others onto it); there still might be gaps, but with thinner plywood they are a whole lot easier to seal up.  Dollhouses are like potato chips or peanuts.

Yeah I can see the addiction. 

I won't buy another kit. I have all of the power tools to make my own. I only started with the kit because I had no clue where to start. I am 100% confident I can build a huge one no problem. 

I did mod this kit right out of the box. Added another door and couple window holes. Built a custom staircase, because the provided ones look like playskol toys. I have managed, with wallpaper and strategically placed trim to mask all the problem areas. 

Again, thanks for the welcome. I'm enjoying looking at all the galleries.

Hi Missy! :wave:  Your story sounded similar to mine: always wanted a dollhouse as a kid but never got one.  When my daughter was about 4 I did the same thing as you- went to the local craft store and bought the biggest kit I could find!  LOL 

You sound quite adept in the wood shop and I look forward to seeing your progress photos! 

• Like 1

I am no expert in wood shop, but know enough to get by. I built our bed, and living room table set. 

Luckily I have all the tools, table saw, scroll saw, compound miter saw, jig saw. Jeez, I have a lot of saws lol. Plus Sanders, router, drill press, etc. So it stands to reason I should be able to build my own. 

20190919_194627.jpg

Edited by MJ Dixon
Add picture
  • Like 1

Nice work! Yep I would think you should be able to build your own dollhouse. I have about the same load of tools that you do. My fondest memories growing up were in my dad's  (actually grandfather's --they raised and later adopted me)workshop. I have his tools and a few more of my own. Working in smaller scale is harder than real size. I think I have decided kits and thinner wood work better for me. I look forward to seeing your pics too!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Welcome Missy! What talent you have with wood working. I too worked with power tools growing up but my dad did artwork in Plexiglas and we helped him. I hated working after school but I am glad in a way because it taught me to be patient and to work with my hands. 

Your story rings a bell for me too.  We were poor but my friend in the neighborhood had one one of those metal dollhouses and I wanted one sooooo bad. I put it on the back burner but when my kids were teens I started wanting to spoil the inner child in me and get that dollhouse!  I haven't looked back. That was about 25 years ago or something like that :)

You will have fun here and learn a lot!